VOL. 11 | NO. 10 | Saturday, March 10, 2018
This Week In Memphis History: March 9-15, 2018
1981: Grand opening of The Antenna Club, 1588 Madison Ave., in what had been a nightclub called The Well. The Panther Burns are the featured entertainment at the Antenna opening, with The Crime playing the following night and Barking Dog the night after that.
Along with concerts, The Antenna features music videos on television sets via video cassettes from the RockAmerica music service played on televisions around the small club. There also are showings of Andy Warhol’s “Frankenstein,” “Barbarella” and “Eat to the Beat.” As The Well, the nightspot had been hosting punk bands since 1979.
1957: Among the new merchant licenses listed in The Daily News: Lincoln Drive In Movie at 1770 Cincinnati, near Lincoln Park; Vance Drug Store at 6357 Navy Road in Millington; and Pixie Golf at 4657 Navy Road.
1924: Buildings are being razed at Second Street and Washington Avenue for construction of a new jail and criminal courts building. When it opens in 1925, the building has a 300-bed jail and courtrooms for two divisions of Shelby County Criminal Court. Today, the building houses the offices of the Shelby County clerk.
1889: Two Catholic nuns arrive in Memphis from Lafayette, Indiana, and open what becomes St. Joseph Hospital in two dilapidated cottages with a $6,000 mortgage on Jackson Avenue between Alabama and Klondike streets. Superiors of the Franciscan order who sent the two nuns did so at the request of Father Francis Moening, a priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church who started pushing for a hospital in Memphis to serve all races and creeds regardless of their ability to pay after he had administered last rites to a river workman that same year. By that August, St. Joseph Hospital has a new three-story frame building from a benefactor who had toured the hospital and was appalled by the overcrowding.
Source: Hospital press release for the 100th anniversary of the hospital in 1989