VOL. 133 | NO. 37 | Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Stanley Bar-B-Que in Overton Square Closes Doors
By Andy Meek
About a month after saying he hoped to keep his Overton Square barbecue restaurant open even though the business had filed for bankruptcy, Stanley Bar-B-Que co-owner David Walker said the eatery has shut its doors for good.
He confirmed to The Daily News the closure has already happened, and in a Facebook post Tuesday, Feb. 20, he noted that the team “gave it all we had.”
Stanley Bar-B-Que in Overton Square, formerly the German restaurant Schweinehaus, has closed its doors.
“Thank you to our amazing regulars and our staff family, most who were here till the very end,” he wrote in the post. “Without you guys, it wouldn't have lasted this long. Wish we could have convinced more to try us but didn't have those marketing dollars to spend. After today, I will be going off this social media thing for a while. True friends know how to reach me. Let's hang out.”
Walker, who studied at the International Culinary Center and who co-owned the restaurant with his mother and majority owner, Martha, had told The Daily News the business would restructure in the hope that it could continue to produce its style of barbecue dishes.
Schweinehaus LLC, his ownership group that started the establishment as a German restaurant before converting to barbecue fare, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. According to the bankruptcy filing, the business has almost $297,000 in debts and a little more than $119,000 in assets.
The restaurant’s revenue has been on a decline since opening, according to the bankruptcy filing. It slipped from almost $1.4 million in 2015 to almost $1.2 million in 2016 and to about $764,000 last year.
The restaurant opened in 2014 at 2110 Madison Ave. as Schweinehaus in the space formerly occupied by Paulette’s. The German-themed eatery featured servers wearing traditional German garb and the kind of handmade wood tables found in many German beer halls.
Walker's future plans aren’t set at this point, but he said he’s trying to move the concept “out west,” adding that “Memphis barbecue could tear it up in a few cities.”