VOL. 11 | NO. 6 | Saturday, February 10, 2018
This Week In Memphis History: February 9-15, 2018
The Daily News
2016: Open casting call for the television series “Sun Records” – then called “Million Dollar Quartet” – at Humes Prep Middle School.
1978: The salaries of office workers in Memphis rose 7.5 percent from November 1976 to November 1977, according to a federal Department of Labor survey of 190 manufacturing and nonmanufacturing companies in the city employing a total of 72,300 people. Business computer programmers make $275 a week, compared with $261.50 a year earlier. Accounting clerks make $193 a week, compared with $175.50 a year before.
A Memphis Mardi Gras season invitation from 1880. (Memphis-Shelby County Room Memphis Public Library & Information Center)
1970: The first, and only, Memphis Pop Festival at the Mid-South Coliseum. The event was big on power rock trios and horn bands featuring a bill that included Grand Funk Railroad and Mountain as well as Chicago Transit Authority, Pacific Gas & Electric and Cold Blood.
Source: “Memphis Rocks” by Ron Hall
1950: Among the new merchant licenses listed in The Daily News, Memphis Recording Service at 706 Union Ave. along with The Louise Dress Shop at 989 Jackson Ave. and Turner Chili Tamales at 3007 S. Third St. The owner of the recording service is an engineer for WREC radio who has decided to branch out into making recordings for anyone who hires out his studio or hires him to bring his equipment to their event. His name is Sam Phillips.
1880: A full dress ball by The Tennessee Club at Leubries Theatre as part of the city’s Mardi Gras festivities.