VOL. 10 | NO. 26 | Saturday, June 24, 2017
June 23-29, 2017: This week in Memphis history
2014: Formal opening of the $301 million expansion of the Frayser Nike plant. As he tours the plant expansion, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam learns the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in favor of same-sex marriage in an appeal of Tennessee’s constitutional amendment that specifically banned gay marriages.
(Internet Movie Database)
1993: Memphis premiere of “The Firm” at The Orpheum, with director Sydney Pollack in attendance. The made-in-Memphis movie stars Tom Cruise, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, Holly Hunter, Hal Holbrook, Gary Busey and Wilford Brimley – plus lots of Memphis scenery and a fully functional law library at the old International Harvester plant in Frayser. Based on the John Grisham novel of the same name, the film featured an alternate ending crafted with some legal advice to screen writers from former U.S. Attorney and Tennessee Attorney General Mike Cody.
1976: On the front page of The Daily News… Union Planters National Bank’s Fox Meadows branch on Mendenhall has a new way of banking. “The familiar teller line has been eliminated. Customers will have the choice of carrying out financial transactions with tellers who are at desks or with automated teller equipment.”
1972: Three Dog Night, Black Oak Arkansas and Buddy Miles at Liberty Bowl – the first rock concert at the stadium. Three Dog Night, the headliners, billed the show as “The Tour of Tours,” with the band grossing more than $5 million in 31 dates following a string of a dozen gold records in three years. The show ushers in a new era in concert experiences in Memphis that would flourish during the 1970s and continue on a more limited basis through the 1990s. The last Liberty Bowl concert was U2 in 1997.
Source: Rolling Stone, Sept. 14, 1972
1958: Southland Greyhound Park opens for its third racing season in West Memphis, touting an air-conditioned grandstand and an admission fee of 25 cents.
1935: The City Commission approves the creation of the Memphis Housing Authority through an amendment to the city charter and a plan to borrow $4 million to carry out its work from the federal Public Works Administration.