VOL. 10 | NO. 33 | Saturday, August 12, 2017
The Memphis News Almanac
August 11-17, 2017: This week in Memphis history
By Bill Dries
1937: A privilege license for The Oasis, a restaurant serving beer and owned by Nick Demapolis at 2128 Central Ave. on the corner of Central and Cooper.
The city commission is considering a change in zoning at Faxon and North Watkins that is drawing opposition from some, but not all, homeowners. “Sponsors of the rezoning were primarily those owning property on the four corners, who claimed that because of that corner being a transfer point for street cars, all privacy has been taken from them and that the street car patrons literally took over the property and made public sites of them, trespassing on lawns and even porches. These advocates are desirous of building apartments on the corners,” reports The Daily News. “The opponents claim that such a rezoning would ruin the value of their adjacent properties, claiming that apartment occupants are undesirable and ruin a neighborhood by their ‘high-life’ and transitory nature.”
1927: On the front page of The Daily News, Sears-Roebuck Co. sets a Sept. 1 opening date for its new Memphis store and begins training and hiring 1,000 people to work in the $5 million structure at North Watkins and North Parkway. “After the application has been gone over and it is found that the applicant comes up to the requirements of Sears-Roebuck Co. the party is sent for.” A total of 200 train car loads of merchandise have already been delivered in preparation for the opening.
August 1927 city election wards and precincts for voter registration as listed in The Daily News.
Rail lines into and out of the city are still in a state of recovery from the recent Mississippi River flooding. The flooding hasn’t stopped preparations for city elections in November. The deadline for voter registration is nearing with registration at ward and precinct locations. The sites include Battier’s Drug Co. at Beale and Hernando; Schultz Plumbing Shop at 1130 Latham; Drake Cleaners on Evergreen near Poplar; and in Ward 29, Precinct 2, a “tent, near Post Office.”