VOL. 9 | NO. 27 | Saturday, July 2, 2016
July 1-7: This week in Memphis history
2014: Hard Rock Cafe Memphis’ new location opens at the corner of Beale and Second streets after 17 years at Beale and Hernando.
1976: ZZ Top headlines a Fourth of July concert at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium that also includes Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult and the Outlaws. Tickets are $12 at the gate.
The next day, Elvis Presley plays the Coliseum, two days after B.B King, Little Milton and Albert King played the WDIA Starlight Revue there.
The Memphis Music Heritage Festival is underway on the newly christened Mid-America Mall, featuring Muddy Waters, Carl Perkins, Furry Lewis, Bukka White, Gus Cannon, Phineas Newborn and The Hot Dogs.
Beale Street is still years away from its redevelopment, but a W.C. Handy Memorial Service is held in Handy Park with musical guest Dizzy Gillespie.
Source: “Memphis Rocks” by Ron Hall
The city’s observance of the nation’s bicentennial includes the debut of the Libertyland amusement park at the Mid-South Fairgrounds, featuring a replica of the Liberty Bell, 14 rides, 13 games, 16 food carts, seven snack bars or dining areas, four musical stage productions and strolling entertainers wandering among Colonial Land, Frontier Land and Turn of the Century Land – the three sections of Libertyland.
1950: Among the new privilege licenses listed in The Daily News is United Parcel Service Inc. at 150 Hernando at the corner of Gayoso.
Beasley Brothers-Jones-Ragland is selling rayon slacks for $8.50 a pair and Cat-Cay Weejun loafers with “genuine moccasin construction in all white reverse calf” for $12.50 a pair.
Memphis Open Air Theatre prepares to open its season with a production of “Desert Song” at the Overton Park Shell.
1923: On the front page of The Daily News, streets, sidewalks and gradings are being completed on the Red Acres residential subdivision at Poplar and Highland. The tract, which is being developed by H.W. Brennan, has 94 lots with “modern cottages and bungalows” and will begin construction after the streets are completed.