VOL. 7 | NO. 45 | Saturday, November 1, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: October 31-November 6
2006: Former President Bill Clinton in Memphis to campaign for U.S. Rep. Harold Ford Jr. at Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ just days before election day in the U.S. Senate race between Ford, the Democratic nominee and Bob Corker, the Republican nominee. Corker would claim the Senate seat.
1970: Lawrence Welk and his orchestra at the Mid-South Coliseum.
1924: On the front page of The Daily News: “A razor blade of any type can be inserted into a new electric device and vibrated to give a man a smooth quick shave.” About five years later, Jacob Schick would secure a patent for his “dry electric shaver.”
The main building on the new Southwestern at Memphis campus on North Parkway was nearing completion. “Surveys have been made for the dormitories, dining halls and other buildings that will be grouped on the college grounds and construction work on these buildings will be started within a few weeks,” The Daily News reported. The school planned to open for classes in the fall of 1925 and by then secure the $1 million endowment fund in a fundraising effort being led by Mayor Rowlett Paine.
1916: Women ran for positions on the Memphis School Board and two of them won, the first women to hold office on the school board in an era in which women were not allowed to vote.
Source: “Memphis in the Progressive Era” by William Miller