VOL. 10 | NO. 8 | Saturday, March 8, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: March 7-13
1982: U2 opened for J. Geils Band at the Auditorium. It was the second Memphis show by U2 who had played the previous year at The Music Hall, a nightspot on Madison Avenue, west of McLean Boulevard. After the Auditorium date, the band dropped in at Miller’s Cave, a Frayser bar, and played two songs with the Miller Brothers Band.
1950: Archduke Otto of Austria, an heir to the Hapsburg throne, was in Memphis to speak to the Memphis Executive Club on the topic “Christian Democracy or Communism?”
1944: Among the new merchant licenses listed in The Daily News: Gate City Hardware Co. at 2500 Summer Ave.
1889: Two Catholic nuns arrived in Memphis from Lafayette, Ind., and opened what became St. Joseph Hospital in two dilapidated cottages with a $6,000 mortgage on Jackson Avenue between Alabama and Klondyke Streets. Superiors of the Franciscan order who sent the two nuns did so at the request of Father Francis Moening, a priest at St. Mary’s Catholic Church who started pushing for a hospital in Memphis to serve all races and creeds regardless of their ability to pay after he had administered last rites to a river workman that same year. By that August, St. Joseph Hospital had a new three-story frame building from a benefactor who had toured the hospital and was appalled by the overcrowding.
Source: 1989 hospital press released for the hospital’s 100th anniversary