VOL. 10 | NO. 7 | Saturday, March 01, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: Feb. 28-March 6
1974: On the front page of The Daily News, J.C. Penney Co. announced it would lease a new 508,700-square-foot hardware/automotive national distribution center in Southaven’s Freeport Industrial Park at State Line and Rostin roads. The center was being built by Boston-based Cabot, Cabot and Forbes Co. Southaven was still an unincorporated suburb at the time, governed by the DeSoto County government and growing in terms of economic development as growth in Whitehaven began to spill over across the state line. Southaven would be incorporated in 1981.
And Hugh Stanton Jr. was sworn in as the new Shelby County District Attorney General at the Shelby County Courthouse. He was District Attorney General for 16 years, appointed following the retirement of Phil Canale. Stanton ran that August when the office went on the countywide election ballot and beat future U.S. District Judge Odell Horton. The same day that Stanton took the oath of office, Edward G. Thompson was sworn in as Shelby County’s new public defender, replacing Stanton’s father, Hugh Stanton Sr.
1944: Among the new privilege licenses listed in The Daily News, Shelby Distributing Company, 2099 Madison Ave. for “five pinball machines, four music machines and two ray guns.”
1914: Memphis saloons surrendered their licenses as the latest development in the legal battle over state prohibition laws. However, Mayor E.H. Crump continued to no enforce prohibition in the city, which would lead to his eventual ouster.