VOL. 7 | NO. 27 | Saturday, June 28, 2014
June 27-July 3: This week in Memphis history
2013: Groundbreaking for the renovation of the Lee House in Victorian Village as a bed and breakfast. To symbolize the transition of the home built in 1841, members of the Lee family gathered beside the house and rang the large bell in the side yard.
The property is one of several homes of James Lee, who ran the Lee line of riverboats on the Mississippi River. The Lee House LLC – a partnership that includes Jose Velazquez, J.W. Gibson and Kathy Buckman Gibson – invested more than $2 million in restoring the house, which opened in April. Among the features is a 114-year old Steinway piano in the home’s living room.
2004: Elvis Radio, the Sirius/XM music channel launched from the plaza across the street from Graceland, features Elvis music and programming 24 hours a day seven days a week.
1984: The leasing office for the Morgan Keegan Tower opened with 40 percent of the office space in the building pre-leased and a completion date of November 1985.
1944: On the front page of The Daily News, the City Commission gave the owners of the Tennessee Brewery permission to build a switch track on the east side of Tennessee Street at Butler Street.
1909: Tennessee’s prohibition law went into effect and was ignored for the most part across the state, especially in Memphis, for the next five years.
Source: “Memphis During The Progressive Era” by William Miller