VOL. 7 | NO. 2 | Saturday, January 04, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: January 3-9
2013: On the front page of the Daily News, Club Crave, at Fourth and Beale streets, had been closed as a public nuisance under a General Sessions Environmental Court order. The order followed a Christmas Eve shooting at the club that killed one person and injured two more. Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. vowed the city would seek to demolish the building. The club still stands but has not reopened since.
1978: The Sex Pistols at Taliesyn Ballroom in Midtown.
1974: John Malmo Advertising Inc. became the ad agency for Cook Industries Inc., the Memphis-based corporation headed by Edward W. Cook that included hardwood as well as chemical companies and insurance underwriting. Malmo had already been the agency for the Bruce Flooring Division of Cook since 1971.
1904: Election day in Memphis for seats on the city’s legislative council with a reform movement going against incumbent Mayor John Joseph Williams. The reform movement was led by Walker Wellford, owner of the Chickasaw Cooperage Co. In the Williams camp were the bar owners Mike Haggerty, George Honan and Mike Shanley, who controlled certain wards in the city. The Memphis Morning News described election day in Memphis as marked “by the use of torch and pistol in the hands of a lawless and riotous mob.” The highlight of the day was the theft of the ballot box in the Ninth Ward.
Source: “Memphis During The Progressive Era” by William Miller