VOL. 7 | NO. 3 | Saturday, January 11, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: January 10-16
By Bill Dries
1950: On the front page of The Daily News, the city had a second Crosley automobile dealership. John Charles Wright opened Wright Motor Co. at 395 Union Ave. with another Crosley dealership named Fly & Harwood at 333 Madison Ave. Crosley Motors Inc. was headquartered in Cincinnati and started production on the line of subcompact cars in 1939, stopping in 1942 when World War II production restrictions put a temporary end to civilian automobile manufacturing. Production resumed in 1946, but Crosley stopped making cars by 1953.
Vance Griffin was sworn in as the new clerk of Circuit and General Sessions Courts.
1944: Cab mileage as regulated by the Office of Defense Transportation took a cut nationwide. In Memphis, that came to about 1,800 miles less per month per cab. Federal regulators instituted the cuts in cab mileage as part of an overall effort to save tires and gasoline for the war effort in Europe and the South Pacific. Locally, Jolly Cab Co. and Yellow Cab Co. were working on strategies to handle the latest cuts. “The public is asked to cooperate with the cab companies by not calling cabs unless the business is of unusual importance,” The Daily News reminded readers.
1903: The city property tax rate of $2.85 per $100 of assessed value was the highest in the city’s history to date and Mayor J.J. Williams said the city needed about $4 million more for street improvements.