VOL. 7 | NO. 33 | Saturday, August 9, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: August 8-14
1993: What would be the city’s last civic drive for a National Football League franchise was taking season ticket pledges with former Green Bay Packers middle linebacker Willie Davis among those in the ownership group, led by Billy Dunavant of Dunavant Enterprises.
1968: On the front page of The Daily News, Memphis State University began its 57th academic year with a new $4 million, four-story University Center of 186,000 square feet. Brister Library added three new buildings including a 14-story tower built to hold more than a million books. The university also bought the old Kennedy Veterans Hospital.
1933: The Tennessee legislature ratified the 21st amendment to the U.S. Constitution repealing prohibition.
1873: The New Orleans towboat “Bee” docked at the foot of Market Street to take on supplies. Two sick men from the tow came ashore and died the next day signaling the beginning of the city's third major Yellow Fever epidemic. The fever spread quickly in the shanties and shacks of Happy Hollow and across the northwestern part of the city at a rate of a block a week.
“Stout men who had witnessed a thousand deaths on the battlefield quaked before it. Science and medical skill seemed paralyzed,” was the description in an Odd Fellows report.
More than 5,000 people had the fever and more than 2,000 had died within two months.
Source: “History of Medicine in Memphis” by Memphis Shelby County Medical Society