VOL. 6 | NO. 38 | Saturday, September 14, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: September 13-19
1973: Wayne W. Pyeatt assumed the duties of chief executive officer of National Bank of Commerce. He had been president and chief administrative officer. The decision by the bank’s board left Lewis R. McKee as board chairman.
And Charles O. McPherson was sworn in as judge of Division 2 of Shelby County Circuit Court. McPherson was sworn in by Judge Greenfield Polk and was appointed by then-Gov. Winfield Dunn to fill the unexpired term of Judge John W. Wilson.
1963: Among the privilege licenses issued, Alta Vista TV at 3173 N. Watkins Road, which also included radio repair in its description, and Deep Rock #5, a tobacco store at 2742 Park Avenue.
1955: The Tennessee Brewery was sold for $68,000 to A. Karchmer & Son, a local scrap metal dealer that occupied the brewery building until 1981. The original Memphis Brewing Co., opened in 1885, that was included in the sale, was torn down in 1963.
Source: “Finest Beer You Ever Tasted” by Kenn Flemmons
1943: On the front page of The Daily News, the City Commission approved the city’s purchase of two pieces of land on the riverfront at Adams Avenue and Promenade Street for a total of $52,500. The two parcels, one owned by Marx & Bensdorf as trustee and the other by National Bank of Commerce, brought to 10 acres the amount of riverfront real estate the city owned but had no immediate plans for.