This week in Memphis history: October 25-31

By Bill Dries

The Pyramid

1993: Exhibition NBA game at The Pyramid between the world champion Chicago Bulls, featuring Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, and the Washington Bullets.

1983: Count Basie and his orchestra played two shows at The Peabody hotel’s Skyway. Basie, who died less than a year later, returned to a Memphis in which some of the landmarks he would have recognized from the heyday of jazz and blues and big bands had been restored. The Peabody had reopened just two years earlier with the Skyway restored, and earlier in the month the city reopened the Beale Street entertainment district.

1963: Among the new privilege licenses listed in The Daily News, Skateland Frayser at 3238 Millington Road. The cinderblock building with a winged neon skate on its tile front was the first in what would become several Skatelands across the city owned by Ted Moyes. Moyes had worked for the Pieraccini family, which owned such skating palaces such as the Rainbow Lake skating rink at Clearpool at Winchester Road and Lamar Avenue.

1923: On the front page of The Daily News: “According to Vanna Taylor, resident manager of the Orpheum theater, destroyed by fire several days ago, the directors of Orpheum vaudeville will not build a new theater in Memphis unless they are assured of being able to do business on Sunday.”

And the Brodnax Building was nearing completion on Main Street featuring Brodnax Jewelry Co., which occupied all six floors of the building.