VOL. 128 | NO. 198 | Thursday, October 10, 2013
Beale Wins Contest as Most Iconic U.S. Street
By Andy Meek
When it comes to the character and distinctiveness associated with a city's most famous streets, there's a certain street in the heart of Downtown Memphis that stands above the competition.
That’s according to voters who picked Beale Street as the winner in a contest to find the “Iconic American Street,” for which the choice was made by 10Best and USA Today readers.
10Best describes itself as providing travel content about attractions, things to do and restaurants for destinations in the U.S. and abroad.
Beale had some stiff competition, beating out other famed streets like The Strip in Las Vegas and New Orleans’ Bourbon Street. The full list of winners:
1. Beale Street - Memphis, Tenn.
2. Canyon Road - Santa Fe, N.M.
3. Worth Avenue - Palm Beach, Fla.
4. Bourbon Street - New Orleans, La.
5. The Strip - Las Vegas, Nev.
6. Lombard Street - San Francisco, Calif.
7. Michigan Avenue - Chicago, Ill.
8. Calle Ocho - Miami, Fla.
9. Beacon Street - Boston, Mass.
10. Ocean Drive - Miami, Fla.
More information about the contest is at www.10best.com/awards/travel/iconic-american-streets.