VOL. 6 | NO. 48 | Saturday, November 23, 2013
November 22-28: This week in Memphis history
2012: U.S. District Judge Samuel “Hardy” Mays ruled the six suburban towns and cities in Shelby County had to stop their movement toward suburban school districts, voiding the moves they had made to date toward the goal.
2011: The city installed bicycle lanes on Madison Avenue between McNeil and North Cooper streets.
1974: The U.S. Comptroller of the Currency asked to meet with the board of Union Planters National Bank to discuss a possible cease and desist order against the Memphis bank because of illegal or unsound banking practices. The notice prompted a change at the financial institution that brought it back from the financial brink.
Source: 'The Turnaround" by John J. Pepin
And a hoarse George Harrison made his only post-Beatles concert appearance in Memphis at the Mid-South Coliseum. Ravi Shankar opened the show.
1923: Work was about to begin on a viaduct on the Arkansas side of the river leading to the auto sidings on the Harahan Rail Bridge across the Mississippi River. The structure leading to the auto lanes added to both sides of the bridge replaced an older viaduct structure that a front-page article in The Daily News described as “feared by all auto tourists.” The steel structure where the auto lanes once were is to be gutted and replaced starting later this year on the northern side of the bridge to build a pedestrian and bicycle boardwalk across the Mississippi River.