VOL. 6 | NO. 22 | Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
May 24-30: This week in Memphis history
1993: St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 480 S. Highland St., issued $1.5 million in construction bonds to finance a Christian Life Center behind the church.
1973: The city of Memphis changed its policy requiring at least two years of college to become a Memphis police officer. The policy was changed to allow a waiver for returning veterans from the Vietnam War who wanted to join the police force. The waiver only applied to the next academy class and was with the understanding that at some point, the veterans would get the two years of college otherwise required.
1963: On the front page of The Daily News, a privilege license for “The Sweet Tooth,” a soda fountain and restaurant, in the Northgate shopping center in Frayser.
Also, Glass Bottle Blowers Association of U.S. and Canada held their annual meeting at The Peabody.
1942: Candidates in the coming Shelby County elections were announcing their intentions and there were some new offices drawing contenders as county government prepared to move from a system of civil and criminal magistrates to a new general sessions court with four judges positions. The general sessions court today has 15 divisions – six civil and nine criminal – all of which will be on the 2014 ballot.