VOL. 6 | NO. 24 | Saturday, June 08, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
June 7-13: This week in Memphis history
1973: On the front page of The Daily News, the Shelby Farms Development Board voted to back the sale of the 2,000-acre site of the old Shelby County Penal Farm to Rouse Co. of Columbia, Md., and Boyle Investment Co. of Memphis for development of the land as a residential community. The action went to the Shelby County Quarterly Court. The land is now Shelby Farms Park.
1970: Jimi Hendrix played the Mid-South Coliseum less than a year after Woodstock and two and a half months before his last performance at the Isle of Wight Festival.
1963: The opening of the new Memphis Metropolitan Airport terminal building designed by architect Roy Harrover. Memphis, at the time, was served by seven airlines – American, Delta, Braniff, United, Eastern, Southern and Trans Texas. Today, the terminal is Memphis International Airport.
1942: A practice blackout for a half hour in Memphis and across the state as part of the homeland preparations during World War II. Two thousand air raid wardens were stationed around the city to see that lights went out in homes and businesses and blackout curtains were used. The blackout extended to streetlights as well as matches and cigarettes. Exceptions to the blackout rule were hospitals, trains, railroad and bus stations, airports, and plants making war materials. The regulations required cars on the road at the time of blackout to pull over and turn off their lights.