MEMPHIS (AP) – A citizens group is seeking help in raising money to build a home for veterans who need long-term care and rehabilitation services.
West Tennessee Veterans Home Inc. is seeking to build a $60 million dollar, 144-bed State Veterans Home in Fayette, Shelby or Tipton counties.
The federal government will cover 65 percent of the cost. But the group must raise the other 35 percent, or about $23 million, to build the residential-style home and pay for the first year's operating costs.
Holly Swogger, president of West Tennessee Veterans Home Inc., says building the home is the right thing to do for the 70,000 eligible veterans in West Tennessee.
The nearest veterans home is 96 miles away in Humboldt. Fifteen veterans from the three counties live there, with 138 awaiting admission.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.