» Subscribe Today!
More of what you want to know.
The Daily News
X

Forgot your password?
TDN Services
Research millions of people and properties [+]
Monitor any person, property or company [+]

Skip Navigation LinksHome >
VOL. 123 | NO. 7 | Thursday, January 10, 2008

Grand Jury Returns New Indictments Against Ford, Lee

By Andy Meek

Print | Front Page | Email this story | Email reporter | Comments ()

A federal grand jury has returned new indictments against former Memphis City Councilman Edmund Ford and former Memphis Light, Gas & Water Division president Joseph Lee. Both men are the subject of pending federal cases involving charges of bribery and public corruption.

The new indictments handed down Monday represent an attempt by federal prosecutors to break apart an 11-count indictment filed in July against Lee and Ford.

The U.S. Attorney's office declined comment Wednesday on the new filing of charges. Neither Ford nor Lee had a preliminary hearing on the new indictments scheduled before a federal magistrate judge as of Wednesday afternoon.

The reason the new indictments became necessary has to do with a wrinkle in the prosecutors' original plan and was criticized last month by U.S. District Court Judge Samuel H. Mays.

In an interview with reporters outside the Downtown federal building at the time, Lee's attorney, Robert Spence, said if prosecutors chose to seek new indictments to correct what Mays ruled is an improper combination of the charges, such a move would be unusual.

"This is mighty amazing," Spence said when reached Tuesday afternoon following word of the new indictments. "I can't speak directly to the indictment because I haven't seen it yet, but I think this one is going to go down in the annals for a number of reasons."

Some of the charges in the indictment involved Ford alone and some involved Ford and Lee together. Mays ruled last month that the cases against both men had been improperly joined and needed to be split apart. His ruling, in effect, set the stage for three criminal trials to spring from the original indictment.

In last month's half-hour hearing, prosecutors raised the possibility in passing that they might seek new separate indictments against Ford and Lee. That appears to be what they've done this week.

This week's indictment is the third against Ford since December 2006, two of which have included identical charges. First, the embattled councilman was charged with taking a bribe to support a billboard development when it came before the council.

Next he was charged in July - together with Lee - with supporting Lee's nomination for the job of MLGW president in exchange for favors from Lee.

This week's indictment splits off that last set of MLGW-related charges, so Ford is now under two indictments - one involving the billboard matter, the second with Lee as a co-defendant involving the MLGW matter.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Larry Laurenzi had been given a deadline of today to file a motion for Mays to reconsider his December ruling that the charges against Ford and Lee should be split. Keep an eye on The Daily News Online for the latest developments.

RECORD TOTALS DAY WEEK YEAR
PROPERTY SALES 64 87 1,429
MORTGAGES 39 60 1,107
FORECLOSURE NOTICES 0 6 196
BUILDING PERMITS 0 117 3,173
BANKRUPTCIES 0 42 795
BUSINESS LICENSES 0 2 331
UTILITY CONNECTIONS 0 0 0
MARRIAGE LICENSES 0 0 0