» Subscribe Today!
More of what you want to know.
The Daily News
X

Forgot your password?
Skip Navigation LinksHome >
VOL. 117 | NO. 81 | Thursday, April 24, 2003

Print | Front Page | Email this story | Comments ()
Buckeye marks

Buckeye marks

loss for quarter

Buckeye Technologies Inc. announced net sales for the quarter ended March 31 were $163.5 million, essentially equal to the comparable quarter of the prior year.

For the quarter, Buckeye incurred a loss of 1 cent per share with a net loss of $400,000 after tax, excluding a previously disclosed non-cash asset impairment charge of 52 cents per share, primarily related to the partial closure of the Lumberton, N.C., cotton linter pulp plant. Excluding the impairment and restructuring charges, Buckeye's after tax loss is a $3 million improvement from the loss incurred in the comparable quarter in 2002.

Buckeye, a manufacturer and marketer of specialty cellulose and absorbent products, is headquartered in Memphis. Buckeye operates facilities in the United States, Germany, Canada, Ireland and Brazil. Its products are sold worldwide to makers of consumer and industrial goods.

 

Jackson Chamber

hosts exporting seminar

In 2001, Tennessee businesses recorded $11.3 billion in international trade. During three upcoming seminars, the International Trade Center will delve into topics such as trade finance, pushing a business into the export market and handling operations in international trade.

The seminars begin at 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Jackson (Tenn.) Chamber of Commerce with Introduction to Exporting.

Registration is $40 per seminar.

For information, call Katie Chandler at (731) 423-2200, or ITC at 678-4174.

 

Lodging industry still

struggling for business

Smith Travel Research announced first quarter results for the U.S. lodging industry Tuesday.

Industry occupancy was 54.7 percent in the first three months of 2003, down 1.1 percent compared to first quarter 2002. The first quarter average room rate fell 0.5 percent to $84.72 and revenue per available room a combination of occupancy and the average room rate and a key industry productivity measure decreased 1.6 percent to $46.35.

Industry room supply increased 1.6 percent in the quarter, down from 1.8 percent growth in first quarter 2002. Industry demand, or room nights sold, increased 0.5 percent in the first quarter compared to a decrease in demand of 3.9 percent for the same time a year ago. Room revenue for the quarter was flat at $18.3 billion.

 

Ribbon cutting set

for architectural firm

A ribbon-cutting ceremony for Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel, Architects begins at 4 p.m. Friday at 400 S. Front St.

Founded in 1970, JBHM is one of the largest architectural firms in Mississippi. The Memphis office is the firms first foray outside Mississippi.

 

International Paper to host

mock trial at Coleman

International Paper will celebrate National Law Week, Monday through May 2, by planning a variety of law-related activities for the fourth- and fifth-grade students at Coleman Elementary School, IPs adopted school.

IPs legal department is conducting a mock trial at 1 p.m. Tuesday in the schools gym. The cast of The Three Bears vs. Goldilocks will consist of legal department members and a Coleman student.

DArmy Bailey, Circuit Court Division 8 judge, will preside. Fourth- and fifth-grade students will act as the jury.

In the trial, Goldilocks is charged with bad manners.

Sign-Up For Our Free Email Edition
Get the news first with our daily email


 
Blog News, Training & Events
RECORD TOTALS DAY WEEK YEAR
PROPERTY SALES 0 331 19,904
MORTGAGES 0 391 23,305
FORECLOSURE NOTICES 0 83 8,387
BUILDING PERMITS 0 338 40,366
BANKRUPTCIES 1 232 13,336
BUSINESS LICENSES 0 76 6,213
UTILITY CONNECTIONS 0 125 13,120
MARRIAGE LICENSES 0 94 4,936

Weekly Edition

Issues | About

The Memphis News: Business, politics, and the public interest.