Editorial Results (free)
1. Taking Stock: Titans’ Top Needs for 2018
- Friday, February 9, 2018
With the Super Bowl in the books and another NFL season come and gone, it will soon be time to prepare for the 2018 season.
For the Tennessee Titans, that means trying to fill in the remaining pieces of the puzzle to take another step toward reaching the big game.
2. Mariota Finds His Swagger, Giving Titans Fans Hope for 2nd-Round Playoff Win
- Friday, January 12, 2018
About a month ago, following a Dec. 10 loss at Arizona, Marcus Mariota showed a seldom-seen side of his personality.
Clearly dejected, he seemed flustered and distraught while answering questions in his post-game press conference, even answering that he was “pissed off” about his performance when asked why he seemed more bothered than usual following the Titans’ 12-7 loss to the struggling Cardinals.
3. Nothing ‘Exotic’ About Titans’ Running Game
- Friday, December 22, 2017
The Tennessee Titans will tell you that their success is built around the run game. Don’t buy it. “Exotic smashmouth” has become a mere shell of its former self.
Under Mike Mularkey, the Titans proudly proclaimed that everything in the offense would revolve around the running game. That strategy worked last season when the Titans ran the football effectively with DeMarco Murray leading the AFC in rushing, Derrick Henry putting in solid work as his backup and the offensive line earning accolades as one of the best in the league.
4. Henry Better Than Murray ... For the Moment
- Friday, September 22, 2017
Some Titans fans have been eager for a running back controversy ever since the Tennessee Titans chose Derrick Henry in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
5. One Gimpy WR No Longer a Big Problem
- Friday, August 11, 2017
Tennessee Titans rookie receiver Corey Davis limped off the practice field last Thursday with a hamstring injury.
6. Titans Will Have Best Roster in More Than a Decade
- Friday, July 7, 2017
The folks at Pro Football Focus recently ranked the Tennessee Titans’ roster No. 3. Not third in the AFC South. Third in the entire NFL. This means one of two things: Either Pro Football Focus has gotten hold of some bad videotape or the Titans finally have some really good players.
7. Titans Draft About More Than Physical Skills
- Friday, May 5, 2017
It’s easy to look at the Tennessee Titans’ 2017 draft and conclude general manager Jon Robinson drafted for need.
After all, he took two wide receivers, a tight end and a cornerback among his first four picks. And all of those players will have better-than-average opportunities to earn early playing time.
8. Tennessee Titans Have Rarely Found Success With Drafted SEC Players
- Friday, April 7, 2017
The NFL Draft is fast approaching, which raises an interesting question: Is this the year the Titans finally shop locally and target Southeastern Conference talent?
If history is any indicator, the answer: No.
9. It’ll be a Fun Offseason Watching Robinson Work
- Friday, February 3, 2017
With the Super Bowl putting the finishing touches on the 2016 NFL season, it’s time to concentrate on next season. That means much of the focus around the National Football League for the next three months – and, locally, with the Tennessee Titans – will be centered on the draft.
10. Robinson’s Success Warrants Any Title He Wants
- Friday, January 13, 2017
In the immediate aftermath of the Tennessee Titans’ turnaround season, Jon Robinson’s title was expanded to executive vice president and general manager.
11. Titaned Up: Success Found In Big Moves, Smallest Details
- Friday, December 30, 2016
Most critics of last year’s Tennessee Titans saw unsettled ownership, a revolving door of coaches and a lack of talent at key positions.
Jon Robinson saw weeds.
12. Titans? Win the AFC South? Sure, It’s Possible
- Friday, November 4, 2016
In a remarkable change of course over recent seasons, the Tennessee Titans entered the month of November still relevant in the AFC South race.
And you know what? I believe the Titans are going to remain relevant – and then some. I can make the case that this team, currently 4-4, is going to win the division and make the playoffs for the first time in eight years.
13. Could This Be the Year the Crimson Tide Rolls Out With a Loss at Tennessee?
- Friday, October 14, 2016
Tennessee defensive end LaTroy Lewis was raised in Akron, Ohio, and recalls a special Saturday of football each fall when he was a youth: Ohio State vs. Michigan.
“That’s what I was taught my whole life,” Lewis says, “and then I got down here in the South, and it was kind of like: ‘Is there any other game beside Tennessee and Alabama?’”
14. Will We One Day Look at Lions Win as Turning Point?
- Friday, September 23, 2016
Was Sunday’s stunning victory in Detroit the start of a turning point for the Tennessee Titans?
For a team that has just six wins since 2013, erasing a 12-point deficit on the road was certainly a sign of hope for a franchise that has experienced virtually nothing but despair for several years now.
15. ‘Crazy Stuff’ Threatens to Kill Another Titans Season
- Friday, September 16, 2016
By most accounts, the Tennessee Titans won the offseason thanks to a strong draft and some smart moves in free agency.
The preseason was more of the same, a 3-1 record that included some impressive football.
16. 8-8 Mediocrity Sounds Good to Titans Fans
- Friday, September 9, 2016
On an August morning in 1999, the Tennessee Titans coaching staff and front office personnel awoke to this headline in the local newspaper:
Playoffs or Pink Slips.
It got their attention. Things were quite tense before, during and after practice on that particular day.
17. Looks Like 10-2, SEC Title Game, Orange Bowl for UT
- Monday, September 5, 2016
Editor’s note: Nashville sports correspondent Dave Link has been accurate in predicting season outcomes for the Tennessee Vols in recent years. His 2016 season predictions, released just before press time, culminates with an SEC Championship appearance. Here’s his take on the season…
18. Mularkey Might Find Elusive Success in Third Shot
- Friday, September 2, 2016
Is the third time the charm for Mike Mularkey? The Tennessee Titans certainly hope so.
Mularkey’s first two NFL head coaching gigs – Buffalo 2004-05, Jacksonville 2012 – resulted in a combined 16-32 record. Add his 2-7 run as interim head coach for the Titans last season and that makes him 18-39.
19. College Football Notebook: Nkemdiche’s Long Fall, Vegas’ Top College Bets
- Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Some things don’t change no matter what. And Robert Nkemdiche is still a 6-foot-3, 296-pound defensive tackle that a lot of NFL teams still believe looks pretty good in pursuit of somebody else’s quarterback.
20. College Football Notebook: Memphis Coaching Search a Waiting Game
- Wednesday, December 2, 2015
As this is being written, the University of Memphis coaching search is a game of wait and see. Athletic director Tom Bowen & Co. apparently remain fixed on Missouri defensive coordinator Barry Odom, who served in the same position for three seasons at Memphis before going to Missouri before the 2015 season.
21. Can Vanderbilt Pull Off One More SEC Win Against Vols?
- Saturday, November 28, 2015
Tennessee football fans already are talking about their bowl destinations for the Christmas holidays.
Will it be the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, the Music City Bowl in Nashville or the Outback Bowl in Tampa?
22. College Football Notebook: As Usual, LSU And Alabama Control SEC West
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015
So here we are back at a familiar place: LSU vs. Alabama in a game that goes a long way toward determining the SEC West champion. And by extension, in all probability, the SEC champion. (Sorry Florida, but in this corner, we’re not true believers yet.)
23. Success Looks Like Five-Game Win Streak For Vols
- Saturday, October 31, 2015
Leaves are changing colors, a chill is in the fall air and Tennessee’s football schedule is getting softer.
Happens every year.
We’ve all heard by now how Tennessee is the best 3-4 team in college football. Now is the time to prove it.
24. Alabama Still Team to Beat, Tennessee On the Rise in 2015 Football Season
- Friday, August 14, 2015
Dak Prescott, the best returning quarterback in the Southeastern Conference, isn’t buying the national narrative that the league is “down” because the first College Football Playoff title game featured Ohio State beating Oregon.
25. Preseason Analysis: Vols Will Defeat Oklahoma, Finish 8-4
- Saturday, August 8, 2015
Tennessee’s football team has something to prove as it concludes the first week of preseason practices and moves forward to the 2015 season.
The Vols must prove they belong in the national picture in Butch Jones’ third year as coach.
26. Wade to Lead Southern College of Optometry's Hayes Center
- Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Dr. Lisa Wade has been named director of the Hayes Center for Practice Excellence at Southern College of Optometry, which focuses on teaching business principles to help optometrists succeed in independent practice.
27. Ole Miss, Memphis Move on to Next Hurdles
- Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Before they played the game, Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze suggested it amounted to the “Super Bowl” for the University of Memphis. But in many respects it was more of a Blooper Bowl for both teams.
28. Vols: Looks Like 6-6 Season
- Saturday, August 23, 2014
Pull out your 2014 schedules, UT fans.
Fall camp is done, and it’s time to get in game-week mode with the season opener against Utah State fast approaching.
So go to the little box next to each of UT’s opponents on the 2014 schedule and pick the winner.
29. Roland ReElected At Filing Deadline, Two Countywide Races Set For August
- Friday, February 21, 2014
One of the six Shelby County Commission incumbents seeking re-election this year was effectively elected to a new four-year term in a new district with the noon Thursday, Feb. 20, filing deadline for candidates in the May county primaries.
30. Suburban School Board Races Almost Set
- Friday, August 17, 2012
Races on the Nov. 6 ballot for six sets of suburban school boards took shape Thursday, Aug. 16, at the noon filing deadline for candidate qualifying petitions.
The candidates that made the deadline have another week to withdraw from the races if they wish.
31. Gay Leads Grizzlies to 90-86 Win Over Timberwolves
- Friday, January 6, 2012
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – The Memphis Grizzlies saw that Zach Randolph wasn't there to help them on Wednesday night, so they played harder.
The Minnesota Timberwolves saw that Zach Randolph wasn't there to beat up on them again, so they took it easy.
32. Archived Article: Rdc (lead)
- Thursday, July 11, 2002
RDC lobbying Congress for riverfront funds
RDC lobbying Congress for riverfront funds
By DAVID LYONS
The Daily News
At its regular monthly meeting Wednesday, the Riverfront Development Corp., or RDC, approved a number of motions designed...
33. Archived Article: Law Briefs
- Thursday, November 7, 1996
The Tennessee Supreme Court on Oct The Tennessee Supreme Court on Oct. 28 entered an Agreed Order of Enforcement adjudging Henry M. Beaty Jr., who is currently under suspension, to be in willful contempt of court and extending the current suspension...
34. Archived Article: Benchmark
- Thursday, February 22, 1996
02-22 Benchmark Deputy E. Wayne Goudy vs. R. L. Fidler and Newsline 1. A commissioned deputy sheriff is suing a Shelby County man and his publication in Circuit Court for libel, negligence and gross negligence. The plaintiff alleges that Newsline 1,...
35. Archived Article: Chg Crane
- Friday, February 9, 1996
2/9 CHG crane Ichabod crane brings commercial business to Port of Memphis By CAMILLE H. GAMBLE The Daily News The Memphis/Shelby County Port Commission will see more activity at the Port of Memphis now that it has acquired the use of the U.S. Navys ...