Editorial Results (free)
1. Tennessee Transgender Bathroom Bill Postponed
- Thursday, March 09, 2017
NASHVILLE – Legislation requiring public school students to use restrooms based on their sex at birth is on hold.
State Rep. Mark Pody, saying he wants to bring “common sense” and “clarity” to the matter, took his bill off notice Tuesday in a House Education subcommittee, saying policies and court decisions are changing so quickly he needs more time to amend the measure.
2. Haslam to Unveil Tennessee Transportation Plan Wednesday
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Republican Gov. Bill Haslam is scheduled to unveil his top legislative priority on Wednesday as state lawmakers await details on his plan to boost transportation funding in Tennessee.
3. Tennessee Transportation Worker Dies 4 Days After Being Injured
- Friday, December 30, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Authorities say a Tennessee Department of Transportation worker has died from injuries he sustained while helping a stranded family on Christmas Eve.
The state transportation department says 30-year-old James Rogers died on Wednesday.
4. 'Nashville' Returns With Transgender Actress, New Plot Lines
- Thursday, December 29, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – The new season of "Nashville" starts with traditional songs rooted in gospel and folk music rather than big production country songs.
Rayna, played by Connie Britton, finds a revelation after hearing a blind man singing "Wayfaring Stranger," an Appalachian tune estimated to be two centuries old. And Juliette, played by Hayden Panettiere, sees an angelic vision in white singing the hymn "God Shall Wipe All Tears Away."
5. US Energy Secretary to Attend Tennessee Land Transfer
- Thursday, December 22, 2016
OAK RIDGE, Tenn. (AP) – U.S. Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz will be on hand for a land transfer deal in Tennessee.
The U.S. Department of Energy says Moniz will attend the Dec. 30 ceremony in Oak Ridge.
6. Tennessee Rep. Blackburn Named to Trump Transition Panel
- Monday, November 14, 2016
BRENTWOOD, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn has been named to the 16-member executive committee of President-elect Donald Trump's transition team.
7. First Tennessee Hardware Problem Affecting Customer Transactions
- Wednesday, November 02, 2016
First Tennessee Bank says it's working to fix a multi-day hardware snafu that's caused a delay in the posting of customer transactions.
8. US Trade Chief Touts TPP Benefits for Tennessee Whiskey Exports
- Monday, October 31, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – United States Trade Representative Michael Froman is citing Ten-nessee whiskey as an example of why Congress should approve the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement.
9. Tennessee Democrats Laud DNC Role for Transgender Official
- Tuesday, July 26, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – The first transgender person to be named to a Tennessee government board or commission has been named the official podium timekeeper at the Democratic National Convention.
10. Tennessee Gov Who Opposed Transgender Bill Criticizes Obama
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Republican Gov. Bill Haslam, who opposed a transgender bathroom bill in the Tennessee Legislature, is speaking out against a directive by President Barack Obama's administration that public schools must allow students to use facilities consistent with their gender identity.
11. Haslam Says US Politics Were Point of Concern on Asia Trip
- Monday, May 16, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Republican Gov. Bill Haslam said Friday that the U.S. presidential race is weighing heavily on the minds of executives that he met with on a recently concluded trade mission to Asia.
12. Tennessee GOP Leader Vows Retribution for Transgender 'Blackmail'
- Wednesday, April 20, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – House Republican leader Gerald McCormick on Tuesday vowed retribution for companies that spoke out against a transgender bathroom bill in Tennessee.
13. Tennessee AG: Transgender Bathroom Bill Could Be Costly
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee's attorney general says a transgender bathroom bill that is moving through the state Legislature could cost the state federal education funding.
Democratic lawmakers opposed to the bill said Monday that Attorney General Herbert Slatery's opinion should be the final "nail in the coffin" to a controversial piece of legislation that is getting a backlash from the business community.
14. Notorious Tenn. Prison Being Transformed Into Tourist Attraction
- Friday, November 13, 2015
PETROS, Tenn. (AP) — The transformation of a once-notorious Morgan County prison into a tourist attraction is moving forward.
The Knoxville News Sentinel reports that developers have laid most of the groundwork for converting the Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary into a huge moonshine distillery complete with a museum, prison tours, RV park and music festival venue.
15. University Of Tennessee Adding Help for Transfer Students
- Tuesday, July 14, 2015
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – The University of Tennessee is ramping up its efforts to help a growing number of transfer students.
The Knoxville News Sentinel reports the school had roughly 1,200 transfer students in the 2014-15 academic year. That number is only expected to grow as Tennessee Promise students begin finishing their first two years at community colleges.
16. Shelby County Commercial Sales Revenue Surges in First Quarter
- Friday, May 01, 2015
The number of commercial sales in Shelby County dipped in the first quarter when compared to last year but the average sale amount and total sales revenue surged ahead of 2014 levels, according to real estate information company Chandler Reports.
17. Open Meetings Laws Don't Apply to Tennessee Transparency Panel
- Tuesday, March 10, 2015
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A panel of experts assembled to offer advice on transparency issues is not subject to the state's open meetings law. At least that's the opinion of Ann Butterworth, who heads the Comptroller's Office of Open Records Counsel.
18. Southwest Tennessee Community College, TSU Agree on Transfers
- Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Tennessee State University and Southwest Tennessee Community College have signed an agreement that will allow students who complete two years at Southwest to transfer to TSU to complete their baccalaureate degree.
19. University of Tennessee Students Return to Transforming Campus
- Saturday, August 23, 2014
Colleges and universities, no matter how venerable and historic, were designed to move forward, to be progressive.
New academic disciplines are developed, buildings are replaced and tuition goes up. Coaches come and go.
20. Oakhaven Warehouse Sells for $1.2 Million
- Tuesday, January 07, 2014
4300 Air Trans Road
Memphis, TN 38118
Sale Amount: $1.2 million
Sale Date: Dec. 17, 2013
Buyer: Chob Realty LLC
Seller: Tenn Trans LLC
Loan Amount: $950,000
Loan Date: Dec. 19, 2013
Maturity Date: N/A
Details: The 109,626-square-foot warehouse at 4300 Air Trans Road in Oakhaven has traded hands for $1.2 million.
21. Oakhaven Warehouse Sells for $1.2 Million
- Wednesday, January 01, 2014
The 109,626-square-foot warehouse at 4300 Air Trans Road in Oakhaven has traded hands for $1.2 million.
22. Tennessee Fights Transparency for Child Welfare Agency
- Tuesday, January 08, 2013
NASHVILLE (AP) – The Tennessee Department of Children's Service has been reporting to a federal court for more than a decade on how it is handling foster care, yet it faces no such scrutiny of its handling of children suffering from abuse or neglect.
23. Tennessee Department of Transportation to Halt Lane Closures During Holiday
- Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The Tennessee Department of Transportation is halting all lane closures during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Officials say all construction-related lane closures will be stopped beginning at noon on Wednesday, Nov. 21, until 6 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 26.
24. Tenn. Transportation Head Says Maps are Still Important
- Monday, January 17, 2011
NASHVILLE (AP) – Commissioner Gerald Nicely of the Tennessee Department of Transportation says state maps are still important despite the use of smart phones and GPS devices.
He commented Thursday as the official 2011 Tennessee Transportation Map became available.
25. Aces Increases Presence With Two Leases
- Friday, December 03, 2010
Aces A/C Supply North has recently signed two leases in the region – one in Memphis and one in Jackson, Tenn.
Carrollton, Texas-based Aces, a representative of American Standard Heating and Air Conditioning, is a wholesaler of air conditioning and equipment and parts.
26. nexAir’s Next Step
- Monday, July 26, 2010
Local gas distributor nexAir hopes a $1.5 million capital investment in a new hydrogen plant will significantly reduce its production costs, while also repositioning the company to emerge from a bad economy.
27. 2010 Tennessee Transportation Map Now Available
- Wednesday, April 14, 2010
NASHVILLE (AP) - The official 2010 Tennessee Transportation Map is now available.
The map is formatted with large, easy readable information and includes a listing of Tennessee's biofuel green island corridors, information about emergency reference markers, attractions throughout the state and other details.
28. Union: Pinnacle, Other Regional Airlines Pressuring Pilots
- Friday, September 25, 2009
WASHINGTON (AP) - The regional airline that operated a plane that crashed and killed 50 people in upstate New York has been pushing pilots to fly even if they say they are too sick or too tired, a union official told Congress on Wednesday.
29. First Tennessee to Present Seminar on Transitions
- Tuesday, June 02, 2009
First Tennessee Bank’s personal trust and business transition services division will present a seminar on managing successful transitions Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at the bank’s Ron Terry Center at Oak Court, 4385 Poplar Ave.
30. Chicago Firm Buys Another Memphis Warehouse
- Tuesday, November 25, 2008
4219 Air Trans Road
Memphis, TN 38118
Sale Amount: $8.4 Million
Sale Date: Nov. 5, 2008
Buyer: Memphis Air Trans LP
Seller: TC Air-T Industrial LLC
Loan Amount: $6.7 million
Loan Date: Nov. 5, 2008
Maturity Date: N/A
Lender: Union Bank of California NA
31. Northwest Cargo Unit to Cut Fuel Surcharges
- Thursday, September 11, 2008
EAGAN, Minn. (AP) - Northwest Airlines Corp. said Monday its cargo unit will cut fuel surcharges in certain markets because of a recent decline in the price of jet fuel.
Surcharges on domestic shipments will be reduced to 46 cents per pound from 50 cents.
32. The Joy Of Soy
- Monday, November 20, 2006
It's been all over the news: The biodiesel market is booming, and it's come to Memphis.
Milagro Biofuels of Memphis LLC opened in October; Memphis Biofuels LLC is expected to open by the end of this month, and a slew of other biofuels plants are in the works. But who is producing the ingredients?
33. Archived Article: Benchmark
- Thursday, May 31, 2001
EEOC files lawsuit EEOC files lawsuit against Selmer GE plant The Memphis District Office of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed a disability discrimination lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennes...
34. Archived Article: Averitt (lead)
- Wednesday, December 01, 1999
Averitt starts construction of shop expansion Averitt starts construction of shop expansion at terminal By LAURIE JOHNSON The Daily News Averitt Express has launched construction of a 15,000-square-foot shop expansion for its Memphis terminal at 425...