VOL. 7 | NO. 14 | Saturday, March 29, 2014
This week in Memphis history: February 28-March 3
2013: A group of 61 Ku Klux Klan members along with neo-Nazis and Aryan Nations members rallied at the Shelby County Courthouse to protest the plan by the City Council to rename three Confederate-themed parks. The massive police response included 400 law enforcement officers in riot gear, a chain link fence around the Klan protestors and another chain link fence two blocks away around a group of 1,200 counter protestors and curious onlookers. One counter protestor was arrested.
1974: On the front page of The Daily News, Bell and Norfleet Enterprises bought 20 acres for $500,000 at 5354 Hungerford Road that had been headquarters of the White Stone Co. Bell and Norfleet planned to make the Hickory Hill site the operational headquarters of several of its companies. The site was next to the $100 million Hickory Hill Industrial Park.
1956: All operations ceased at the bottling plant of the Tennessee Brewery, which was sold that Jan. 20 to Max Pinkerton and Mark Townsend for $266,250.
Source: “Finest Beer You Ever Tasted” by Kenn Flemmons
1950: The City Commission in a special meeting approved a 50-year lease agreement with the new Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital on the east side of Dunlap between Adams and Washington, which remains part of the larger current footprint of the hospital. The commission also approved a resolution opposing a new bureau within the U.S. Department of Agriculture to control the handling of milk.