March 14-March 20: This week in Memphis history

Saturday, March 15, 2014, Vol. 7, No. 12

2013: Executives of Bass Pro Shops went back to the drawing board for their signage on The Pyramid after renderings of the signage and details prompted concern from citizens and the Downtown Memphis Commission’s Design Review Board. The new proposal that would surface later was approved by the review board.

2009: Stanford Financial Group, with headquarters in Crescent Center in East Memphis, laid off 50 people locally in the wake of a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigation that the SEC described as unmasking a company that was a massive Ponzi scheme. The details on the job losses were provided by the court appointed receiver of the company.

1989: Robert Cray at the Orpheum. Cray, a blues guitarist, had reached the height of his popularity with a Memphis-based sound that included The Memphis Horns, Andrew Love and Wayne Jackson, on recordings as well as on tour.

1974: Elvis Presley at Mid-South Coliseum, last show of the tour and it was recorded for a live album that was released later.

1972: Memphis City Council approved spending $35,000 to buy land at Coleman and Yale roads for a fire station in Raleigh, which was about to be annexed.

1950: Among the privilege licenses listed in The Daily News, Clearpool Supper Club at Lamar Avenue and Winchester Road. Described as a “dance hall,” the club was part of an entertainment complex that included a pool and roller skating.