This week in Memphis history: June 13-19

Saturday, June 14, 2014, Vol. 7, No. 25

1993: The model of a statue of blues legend B.B. King was unveiled at B.B. King’s Blues Club on Beale Street. The plan was to install the 18-foot statue in a park on Beale Street similar to the setting for the statue of Elvis Presley. Ultimately, the statue wound up in the visitors center on Riverside Drive, where it remains to this day along with the refurbished Elvis Presley statue that was originally on Beale Street as well. The old Elvis statue was replace by a new statue.

Civil jury trials in Memphis Federal Court were temporarily suspended. Chief U.S. District Judge Odell Horton ordered that judges in the Western District of Tennessee not impanel new civil juries because of a shortage of federal funds across the country to pay jurors.

1984: Mike Cody, the former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Tennessee, appointed by the Tennessee Supreme Court to be Tennessee Attorney General, filing the rest of the term of state attorney general William Leech, starting that July. Cody was also a former member of the Memphis City Council.

And opening ceremonies were held for the new $71.2 million central tower of Methodist Hospital.

1973: On the front page of The Daily News, Edgar Bailey became the chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Leader Federal Savings and Loan Association following the resignation of Roy Marr, who had been president of the bank since 1944.