VOL. 7 | NO. 31 | Saturday, July 26, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: July 25-31
By Bill Dries
2010: The body of Lorenzen Wright was found on a back road near a wooded area known as Callis Cutoff near Hacks Cross Road. Wright, center and power forward for the University of Memphis basketball team who played professionally for the Los Angeles Clippers, Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzlies, was last seen July 18.
He had been shot numerous times. The day he was last seen, a Germantown 9-1-1 dispatcher got a call from Wright’s cell phone hearing multiple gunshots before the call disconnected. To date, no one has been charged in his murder.
2002: Bow Wow at the Mid-South Coliseum with B2K.
1984: Groundbreaking for Agricenter International. B. Lee Mallory III, the immediate past chairman of the Agricenter board told those at the ceremony, “Today the Agricenter International goes from concept to concrete.”
1968: Shelby County Criminal Court Judge Preston Battle appointed a committee of local attorneys to advise him of any violations of his court order on publicity in the coming murder case of James Earl Ray for the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ray would later plead guilty to King’s murder.
1934: On the front page of The Daily News, a plan filed in Memphis Federal Court to form a separate ownership company for the Gayoso Hotel. The Gayoso and The Peabody hotels were owned at the time by the same company – the Memphis Hotel Co. The plan was to operate each hotel separately.