VOL. 7 | NO. 9 | Saturday, February 22, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: February 21-27
2013: The Salvation Army Kroc Center opened at the Mid-South Fairgrounds.
1974: On the front page of The Daily News, Albertine McCrory developers announced a 1,500-home planned community at Interstate 40 and Whitten Road called Hillshire. The plans called for single-family homes, townhouse condominiums, garden apartments, duplexes and commercial areas as well as an office industrial park for an estimated 12,000 people or a community about the size of Parkway Village at the time.
1973: David Bowie, in Memphis for two shows at the Auditorium on the Ziggy Stardust tour, visited the Memphis College of Art. Bowie had played the Auditorium four months earlier on the same tour.
1916: E.H. Crump took the oath of office for a third term as mayor of Memphis and immediately resigned. Crump had won a third term as mayor in the city elections of 1915 even though he had been removed from his second term as mayor in a protracted court battle that centered on Crump’s refusal to enforce the state prohibition law in Shelby County. He would return to politics, running later that summer for Shelby County Trustee and winning the first of four successive two-year terms as trustee. Crump also abolished the system in which the trustee was paid a share of the delinquent taxes he managed to collect.
Source: “Mr. Crump of Memphis” by William D. Miller