VOL. 7 | NO. 8 | Saturday, February 15, 2014
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: February 14-20
By Bill Dries
2013: On the front page of The Daily News, Shelby County Schools board members approved a budget proposal that included $145 million in new funding to be sent to the Shelby County Commission for funding. It followed a long debate about whether the commission would approve that much extra and what the reaction from parents and teachers would be to the cuts that followed if the commission didn’t. The commission rejected the budget proposal.
Interim Memphis City Schools superintendent Dorsey Hopson, meanwhile, announced a new round of talks with Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. over a $57 million Chancery Court judgment the city had been ordered to pay the school system.
1984: The Police at the Mid-South Coliseum. Second leg of the North American tour for the album Synchronicity, between Cincinnati and Carbondale, Ill.
1974: The Memphis In May International Festival was still getting organized and still a few years away from its debut. But the organizers sponsored a contest along with Memphis Music Inc. to select a song to promote the month-long festival. The prize was $500 and the song was to be published and recorded by Memphis Music Inc.
1972: Formal opening of the Commercial & Industrial Bank building at 200 Madison Ave. designed by Gassner/Nathan/Brown Architects.
1950: Among the trademarks registered with the Tennessee Secretary of State’s Office, “Bovine Tonic”, “Indian Ease Linament” and “Indian Hair Pomade” all by the Indian Medicine Co. Inc. of Whitehaven.