2012: On the front page of The Daily News, civic leaders in Millington formally opened the long-awaited extension of Veterans Parkway north of Navy Road.
1983: The Benchmark Hotel, Downtown’s largest black-owned hotel, opened on the northwest corner of Union Avenue and Third Street, across from The Peabody hotel. What had been a fire-damaged motel was renovated over three years at a cost of $4.5 million with 110 rooms. At its opening the hotel was at full occupancy with a delegation from Iowa in the city for the annual Church of God In Christ convocation.
1965: The Rolling Stones played the Mid-South Coliseum in the first in a series of Memphis concert appearances over the decades that have included two shows at nearby Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and a 1978 return to the Coliseum. The 1965 date at the Coliseum was part of the British band’s second U.S. tour with Memphis between dates in Nashville and Shreveport, La.
Source: “The Rolling Stones: An Illustrated Record” by Roy Carr
1923: Demolition work was completed on the old Peabody Hotel at Main Street and Monroe Avenue with construction to begin a day later on the new Lowenstein Bros. Department Store, which had been at Main and Jefferson. The original Peabody opened in 1869 with 75 rooms. Among its guests were Presidents Andrew Johnson and William McKinley as well as Russian Grand Duke Alexis, the son of Czar Alexander II.