VOL. 6 | NO. 19 | Saturday, May 04, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
May 3-9: This Week in Memphis History
1993: J. Terry Steib became the new bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Memphis.
The Harrah’s casino division of Memphis-based Promus Cos. announced plans to build a casino in Tunica on 150 acres of land five miles west of U.S. 61 with an opening date of late 1994.
1973: The Memphis Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area, which had consisted of Shelby County and Crittenden County in Arkansas, was enlarged to take in Tipton County in Tennessee and DeSoto County in Mississippi.
Ground was broken in Southaven that week for the $1.8 million nine-acre Carriage Hills Plaza shopping center at U.S. 51 S. and Rasco Road developed by Universal Financial and Investment Corp. of Memphis.
1963: On the front page of The Daily News, the city commission approved a location at the Fairgrounds for the construction of a new football stadium. What opened in 1965 as Memorial Stadium would later become Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium.
1925: Tom Lee rescued 32 people after the excursion boat the M.E. Norman capsized on the Mississippi River 20 miles south of Memphis. Lee was on a much smaller boat called Zev when he looked back and saw the Norman had flipped. He turned Zev around and began pulling people from the river and ferrying them to a sandbar. Several days later, Lee was in the Rose Garden at the White House shaking hands with President Calvin Coolidge.