VOL. 6 | NO. 23 | Saturday, June 01, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
May 31-June 6: This week in Memphis history
(Daily News File/Lance Murphey)
2012: The Overton Bark dog park opens in Overton Park between Rainbow Lake and the park’s golf course. The 1.3-acre area whose construction was funded by Hollywood Feed is divided into two sections – one for smaller dogs and the other for large dogs.
2008: Riviana Foods Inc. of Houston filed a $30 million application for a building permit to add a 420,000 square foot rice processing and distribution center to its plant at Dempster Avenue and East Bodley Street. The expansion moved the functions from Houston to Memphis, closing the Riviana Houston plant.
1993: The First Tennessee Building, 165 Madison Ave., was sold by Belz Enterprises to Mutual Benefit Life Assurance Corp. of Newark, N.J. for $13.5 million.
1963: On the front page of The Daily News, Cooper Turner Jr., president of the Memphis-Shelby County Bar Association announced that a low turnout of 300 members of the association had voted not to admit African-American attorneys as members of the association.
1877: Memphis Brewing Co. served its first beer. The company, owned by S. Luehrmann, P. Wald and H. Leisse, was the first sustained beer brewing presence in the city that lasted beyond a year or two.
Source: “Finest Beer You Ever Tasted” by Kenn Flemmons