VOL. 6 | NO. 30 | Saturday, July 20, 2013
The Memphis News Almanac
This week in Memphis history: July 19-25
2012: Loeb Properties Inc. of Memphis closed on its $7 million acquisition of eight acres of the Overton Square entertainment district from Denver-based Overton Square Investors LLC.
1993: Scott Construction Co. continued work on widening to four lanes a quarter-mile section of what was then called Mud Island Road from the Auction Street Bridge to the entrance to Harbor Town. Harbor Town Square was still under construction at the time. The first layer of asphalt was due by September.
1973: Humble Pie, T-Rex and Hydra at the Mid-South Coliseum as the Fairgrounds venue and the Auditorium Downtown were each well into their runs as the city’s dominant performance halls for rock bands through the 1990s. It was the second time in a year that the band fronted by Steve Marriott played Memphis. And the band would return to the city less than a year later on another tour. The continuous touring was the primary means of generating record sales along with radio airplay.
1943: On the front page of The Daily News, Memphis Congressman Cliff Davis predicted that after World War II at least six new air routes could include Memphis stops with the possibility of two more either ending or beginning in Memphis.
“The Memphis airport will be expanded to huge proportions and the expansion will be the biggest thing to come to Memphis since the outbreak of the war,” Davis said.