» Subscribe Today!
More of what you want to know.
The Daily News
X

Forgot your password?
Skip Navigation LinksHome >
VOL. 127 | NO. 182 | Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Nashville to Lose $3 Million for Rejecting Charter School

AP

Print | Front Page | Email this story | Comments ()

NASHVILLE (AP) – The state Department of Education is withholding $3.4 million in funding from the public school system in Nashville over a rejected charter school.

The Metro Nashville school board last week defied an order by the state Board of Education to approve the application from Phoenix-based Great Hearts Academies.

Members of the city's school board said they were concerned the charter school planned to draw from affluent white families, rather than to bring in students from other parts of the city to create a more diverse student body.

Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman said in a release that the department had "no choice" but to strip the funding from Nashville schools because of the refusal to follow state law giving ultimate authority on charter school applications to the state panel.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sign-Up For Our Free Email Edition
Get the news first with our daily email


 
Blog Get more from The Daily News
Blog News, Training & Events
RECORD TOTALS DAY WEEK YEAR
PROPERTY SALES 64 296 16,341
MORTGAGES 89 356 21,366
FORECLOSURE NOTICES 6 61 4,251
BUILDING PERMITS 199 701 39,202
BANKRUPTCIES 50 234 15,482
BUSINESS LICENSES 21 78 5,471
UTILITY CONNECTIONS 54 354 23,505
MARRIAGE LICENSES 8 78 5,018

Weekly Edition

Issues | About

The Memphis News: Business, politics, and the public interest.