A $15 million block of money for a single payroll finance computer system for the consolidated school system to come is the first merger-related funding recommendation from the countywide school board to reach the Shelby County Commission.
The commission is scheduled to vote Monday, Oct. 22, on the resolution to fund the Enterprise Resource Planning System with a goal of the system being in place by next summer.
The commission meets at 1:30 p.m. at the Vasco Smith County Administration Building, 160 N. Main St.
The computer software recommended by the school board is the system and process now used by Shelby County Schools for its human resources, payroll and finance functions.
August 2013 is the start of the school year and the merger of Memphis City Schools and Shelby County Schools. The schools budget for the fiscal year that begins a month earlier, on July 1, is also the first public schools budget in which Shelby County government is the exclusive local funder of what are now two public school systems.
The city of Memphis currently provides some funding of the Memphis City Schools budget but county government is the dominant local funder of city schools and the only local funder of Shelby County Schools.
The resolution on Monday’s agenda is an amendment to Shelby County government’s capital improvements project budget, one-time construction or infrastructure-related expenses financed with bonds.
If it is approved, the school board would then develop a specific budget for the project, including system requirements to go to the commission before the commission votes later on appropriating the $15 million.
The commission also votes Monday on a planned development on the northeast side of Hacks Cross Road and Tenn. 385 by AutoNation Inc. for a car sales, rental and leasing lot.
Also on the agenda is a resolution permitting the use of $2 million from the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. PILOT Extensions Funds to be used for the Main Street Memphis part of the “Main Street to Main Street” project. The funding is for infrastructure work on a $30 million project that has already won a $15 million federal grant and whose organizers are raising private funding as well.
The project is a renovation of Main Street from Uptown to the South Main Historic Arts District in Memphis as well as Broadway Street in West Memphis with a pedestrian and bicycle boardwalk on the Harahan rail bridge across the Mississippi River connecting the two thoroughfares.
The PILOT extension funds are generated by properties within the area covered by the Downtown Memphis Commission.
The County Commission will also vote Monday on the latest contracts for the rerouting of Fite Road in North Shelby County over a CN railroad crossing. The bridge connects Woodstock Boulevard to U.S. 51.
The $844,686 contracts are for the relocation of Memphis Light, Gas and Water Division electrical transmission lines and electric distribution lines.
The long-awaited bridge is a $12.6 million project of which 80 percent is funded by federal funds passed through state government. The remaining 20 percent is county government funding.