Editorial Results (free)
1. AbbVie, Shire Agree on $55 Billion Combination
- Monday, July 21, 2014
The drugmaker AbbVie has reached a deal worth roughly $55 billion to combine with British counterpart Shire and become the latest U.S. company to seek an overseas haven from tax rates back home.
The companies said Friday they will create a new company that is incorporated on the British island of Jersey, where Shire currently is incorporated. But the new company will be controlled by shareholders of North Chicago, Illinois-based AbbVie, who will own about 75 percent of the new company's stock.
2. Pharmacy Sales Boost Major Drugstores in June
- Friday, July 04, 2014
A jump in pharmacy revenue fueled June sales growth for two of the nation's largest drugstore chains, and they may start adding gains from the health care overhaul later this year.
Walgreen Co. and Rite Aid Corp. said Thursday that pharmacy revenue from their established stores climbed more than 11 percent at Walgreen and 5 percent at Rite Aid last month. Walgreen runs the nation's largest drugstore chain with 8,215 stores, while Rite Aid ranks third with 4,754. The company in the middle, CVS Caremark Corp., doesn't report monthly results.
3. Major Retailers Agree to List Unit Prices Online
- Wednesday, June 18, 2014
NEW YORK (AP) – Shoppers can skip the math. It's about to get easier to compare prices on products from breakfast cereals to toothpaste at some of the nation's major online retailers.
New York's attorney general said Tuesday that Costco, CVS, FreshDirect, Wal-Mart and Walgreen have agreed to list unit prices on their websites and mobile apps for shoppers nationwide in the coming months. Amazon.com Inc., the world's largest online retailer, did not agree to participate, according to Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman.
4. Retailers Launch Cybercrime Info Sharing Center
- Thursday, May 15, 2014
NEW YORK (AP) – Some of the country's largest retailers are banding together in hopes of protecting consumers' personal and financial information from hackers and thieves.
The Retail Industry Leaders Association, along with several top retailers ranging from Gap Inc. to Walgreen Co., on Wednesday launched an intelligence sharing center focused on the prevention of cybercrimes against retailers.
5. Tennessee Pharmacist Sues Over Firing
- Monday, February 17, 2014
NASHVILLE (AP) – A Tennessee pharmacist who says he was fired for refusing to sell the morning-after pill has filed a lawsuit against his former employer.
The Tennessean (http://tnne.ws/1f1jk86) reports Philip Hall says he was fired from Walgreens in August because he wouldn't sell the contraceptive due to his religious beliefs. Hall said in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Nashville that he finds the drug "sinful and repugnant to his sincerely held religious beliefs."
6. CVS Caremark Plans to Stop Tobacco Products Sales
- Thursday, February 06, 2014
CVS, the nation's second-largest drugstore chain, is kicking the habit of selling tobacco products as it continues to shift its focus toward being more of a health care provider.
The company said Wednesday that it will phase out cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco by Oct. 1 in its 7,600 stores nationwide, in a move that will help grow its business that works with doctors, hospitals and others to improve customers' health.
7. Last Ike’s Store Closing Saturday
- Saturday, February 01, 2014
It will be the end of an era when the Ike’s store at Eastgate Shopping Center closes Saturday, Feb. 2.
When the East Memphis store closes its doors for good, the Ike’s brand will be gone.
8. Last Ike’s Store Closing Saturday
- Friday, January 31, 2014
It will be the end of an era when the Ike’s store at Eastgate Shopping Center closes Saturday, Feb. 1.
When the East Memphis store closes its doors for good, the Ike’s brand will be gone.
9. Frayser Walgreens Sells for $2.2 Million
- Wednesday, January 22, 2014
The 17,062-square-foot Walgreens at 3360 Frayser Blvd. (alternatively 3360 N. Watkins St.) in Frayser has sold for $2.2 million.
10. Belz Sells Shelby Oaks EnSafe Center for $910,000
- Monday, January 20, 2014
5710-5730 Summer Trees Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Sale Amount: $910,000
Sale Date: Jan. 10, 2014
Buyer: EnSafe Inc.
Seller: BICO Associates GP
Details: An affiliate of Belz Enterprises has sold the five-building Shelby Oaks EnSafe Center office complex on Summer Trees Drive in Northeast Memphis for $910,000.
11. Owner Files Loan on Summer Avenue Walgreens
- Friday, January 17, 2014
The owner of the Walgreens drugstore at 5828 Summer Ave. (U.S. 70) in Northeast Memphis has filed a $4.7 million loan on the property.
12. Walgreen Sales Reading Climbed in December
- Tuesday, January 07, 2014
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen said Monday that a key sales measurement improved in December as customers filled more prescriptions during trips to the company's drugstores.
The company said sales at stores open at least a year grew 6.1 percent for the month, mostly because revenue from pharmacy departments improved. At stores open at least one year, pharmacy revenue rose 9 percent and sales of non-pharmacy items sold at the front of its stores increased 2.5 percent.
13. Walgreen Offers Help Tied to Health Overhaul
- Saturday, January 04, 2014
Walgreen Co. will fill prescriptions at no upfront cost to some patients who don’t have all the information they need for coverage received through the health care overhaul.
14. Walgreen Offers Prescription Help Tied to Health Overhaul
- Wednesday, January 01, 2014
Walgreen Co. will fill prescriptions at no upfront cost to some patients who don't have all the information they need for coverage received through the health care overhaul.
15. Walgreen's Quarterly Profit Jumps 68 Percent
- Saturday, December 28, 2013
Walgreen's fiscal first-quarter earnings soared 68 percent as investments in other companies paid off for the nation's largest drugstore chain, but a slowdown in generic drug introductions helped squeeze profitability.
16. Walgreen’s Quarterly Profit Jumps 68 Percent
- Monday, December 23, 2013
Walgreen’s fiscal first-quarter earnings soared 68 percent as investments in other companies paid off for the nation’s largest drugstore chain, but a slowdown in generic drug introductions helped squeeze profitability.
17. Agape Celebrates Young ‘Pictures of Hope’ Artists
- Thursday, December 05, 2013
Agape Child & Family Services celebrated 14 young photographers Tuesday, Dec. 3, unveiling the Pictures of Hope holiday cards based on the children’s missive to capture their dreams on camera. The celebration and unveiling were part of Agape’s second-annual Meet the Young Artist holiday party, held at Chuck Hutton Chevrolet in East Memphis.
18. CVS Caremark to Buy Coram for $2.1 Billion
- Monday, December 02, 2013
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore chain operator CVS Caremark Corp. said Wednesday that it has agreed to buy the drug infusion business Coram LLC, a unit of Apria Healthcare Group Inc., for $2.1 billion.
19. Walgreen Closes on Kerr Drug Transaction
- Monday, November 11, 2013
Walgreen has closed on its acquisition of Kerr Drug’s 76 retail drugstores and its specialty pharmacy business.
Walgreen Co. announced the deal in September. The transaction also includes a distribution center, but does not include the long-term care pharmacy business of Kerr, a privately held regional chain.
20. Fresh Market Eyes Union Avenue Ike's
- Tuesday, November 05, 2013
By this time next year, Midtown residents could be shopping at a new Fresh Market grocery store.
The upscale grocery chain is eyeing the Union Avenue Ike's, which a Walgreen Co. representative confirmed will be shuttered.
21. Frayser Walgreens Sells for $6.4 Million
- Friday, November 01, 2013
The Walgreens store at 2655 Frayser Blvd. in Frayser has been sold to a North Carolina buyer for $6.4 million.
22. Walgreen Fiscal Fourth-Quarter Profit Soars 86 Percent
- Wednesday, October 02, 2013
Walgreen Co.'s fiscal fourth-quarter earnings soared 86 percent, as the nation's largest drugstore chain booked a big inventory-related gain and benefited from its acquisition of a stake in European health and beauty retailer Alliance Boots.
23. Walgreen Co. Closes Ike’s Gas Station
- Friday, August 02, 2013
Walgreen Co. has closed the gas station at its Ike’s store on Union Avenue, but the company isn’t saying anything else about the property’s future.
24. Sears, JC Penney Sever Ties With Paula Deen
- Monday, July 01, 2013
NEW YORK (AP) – The exodus continues.
Sears, J.C. Penney and Walgreen said Friday that they're cutting ties with Paula Deen, adding to the growing list of companies severing their relationship following revelations that the Southern celebrity chef used racial slurs in the past.
25. Former Ike’s on Summer Sells for $2.7 Million
- Monday, May 27, 2013
4569 Summer Ave. Memphis, TN 38122
Sale Amount: $2.7 million
Sale Date: May 17, 2013
26. Former Ike’s on Summer Sells for $2.7 Million
- Friday, May 24, 2013
A 16,085-square-foot former Ike’s drug store at the corner of Summer Avenue and North Perkins Road in Berclair has sold for $2.7 million.
FSC FMC-FD Memphis TN LLC, which lists a Lake Como, N.J., address, bought the property at 4569 Summer Ave. on May 17 from FDS Holdings LLC and Blue Cedar Properties LLC.
27. Drugstore Corridor
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Walgreen Co. is building a new store on Poplar Avenue in East Memphis amid some of the most important and valuable commercial real estate in the city.
28. Walgreen Clinics Expand Care Into Chronic Illness
- Friday, April 05, 2013
Walgreen Co. has stretched the reach of its drugstore clinics beyond treating ankle sprains and sinus infections to handling chronic diseases such as diabetes, asthma and high blood pressure.
29. MED Buys East Memphis Land for $3.4 Million
- Tuesday, December 04, 2012
6525 Quince Road Memphis, TN 38119
Sale Amount: $3.4 million
Sale Date: Nov. 16, 2012
30. Pennsylvania Company Buys Cordova Walgreens
- Monday, December 03, 2012
An affiliate of American Capital Realty has paid $3.8 million for the 15,048-square-foot Walgreens at 1943 Berryhill Road in Cordova.
31. Storage Facility Owner Files $2 Million Loan
- Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Storage Towne of America LLC has filed a $2 million loan on its 66,802-square-foot storage facility at 5900 Stage Road in Bartlett.
32. Delek Buys Lion Oil Facility for $6.4 Million
- Tuesday, November 20, 2012
1023 Riverside Drive Memphis, TN 38106
Sale Amount: $6.4 million
Sale Date: Nov. 7, 2012
33. Austin Peay Walgreens Financed for $2.3 Million
- Wednesday, November 14, 2012
A Walgreens store on Austin Peay Highway has been financed by its California-based ownership group, Antioch-Memphis Partners, for $2.3 million.
The 14,392-square-foot Class A store is situated on 1.9 acres at the northwest corner of Austin Peay and Singleton Parkway. Walgreen Co. began a 75-year lease on the property, which the Shelby County Assessor appraised this year at $2.2 million, when it was built in 2002.
34. Nashville Company Buys Wolf River Medical Building for $11 Million
- Tuesday, October 16, 2012
8040 Wolf River Blvd.
Germantown, TN 38138
Sale Amount: $11 million
Sale Date: Oct. 9, 2012
Buyer: HRT of Tennessee Inc.
Seller: Bayrock Investment Co. LLC
Details: HRT of Tennessee Inc., an affiliate of Nashville-based Healthcare Realty Trust Inc., has paid slightly less than $11 million for the medical office building at 8040 Wolf River Blvd. in Germantown.
35. Summer Avenue Walgreens Sells for $4 Million
- Monday, October 15, 2012
The 14,092-square-foot Walgreens store at 5828 Summer Ave. (U.S. 70) has sold for $4 million to an entity called ARC WGMEMTN001 LLC.
36. Shelby Oaks Red Roof Inn Sells for $1.6 Million
- Tuesday, September 25, 2012
6055 Shelby Oaks Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Sale Amount: $1.6 million
Sale Date: Sept. 19, 2012
37. Ike's, Super D Parent Sells Collierville Land for $800K
- Thursday, September 20, 2012
Stephen L. LaFrance Pharmacy Inc. of Little Rock – the former parent of retail pharmacies Ike’s, Super D, USA Drug, Drug Warehouse and Med-X – has sold 1.41 acres on the south side of West Poplar Avenue (Tenn. 57) near its intersection with Maynard Way.
38. Walgreen Finishes $438 Million Deal for Drugstore Chain
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. has completed its $438 million purchase of a regional drugstore chain that operates in several states under the USA Drug, Super D Drug and Med-X names.
39. Industry Leaders Discuss Changing Health Care System
- Monday, September 10, 2012
Some of Memphis’ most prominent health care leaders discussed the changing U.S. health care system during the Memphis Business Group on Health’s fourth annual conference Thursday, Sept. 6, at the Holiday Inn-University of Memphis, 3700 Central Ave.
40. Tricare Won't Return Walgreen to Pharmacy Network
- Friday, September 07, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The military health insurance plan Tricare says Walgreen Co.'s drugstore chain, the largest in the U.S., will not be part of the network where plan members can get their prescriptions filled.
41. Refunds on Way to Cover CVS Business' Price Error
- Wednesday, September 05, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The Federal Trade Commission said that it is mailing refund checks to 13,000 Medicare Part D beneficiaries who were overcharged for drugs because a CVS Caremark Corp. business understated the price of the medications.
42. Herbalife Plans to Expand Memphis Distribution Center
- Tuesday, August 21, 2012
5025 Crumpler Road
Memphis, TN 38141
Permit Cost: $4.8 million
Permit Date: Applied August 2012
43. Former Ike's Sells for $1.3 Million
- Friday, August 17, 2012
A 16,085-square-foot former Ike’s drug store at the corner of Summer Avenue and North Perkins Road has sold for $1.3 million, or about $81 a square foot.
3C Summer Partners LLC, which lists a residential address in Brentwood, Tenn., bought the property from Stephen L. LaFrance Pharmacy Inc., filing a $1.7 million loan through Trustmark National Bank at the time of purchase.
44. Wal-Mart Opposed to $6B Card Fee Settlement
- Wednesday, July 25, 2012
BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) – Wal-Mart Stores Inc. urged retailers to reject a proposed $6 billion settlement that Visa Inc., MasterCard Inc. and major banks have agreed to pay retailers for alleged fee fixing.
45. Walgreen, Express Scripts Sign New Agreement
- Friday, July 20, 2012
The Walgreen pharmacy chain will begin filling prescriptions from customers in the Express Scripts network again starting in September under a new multiyear contract that ends a costly impasse between the companies.
46. Hickory Hill Warehouse Sells for $1.3 Million
- Tuesday, July 17, 2012
5837 Distribution Drive
Memphis, TN 38141
Sale Amount: $1.3 million
Sale Date: July 11, 2012
47. Walgreens Buyer Finances Purchase With $2.6M Loan
- Friday, July 13, 2012
WG Memphis Holdings LLC, the Hamilton, N.J.-based company that bought the Walgreens site at 6980 E. Holmes Road, has financed the purchase with a $2.6 million loan through Wells Fargo Bank NA.
48. Walgreens Site on Holmes Sells for $3.5 Million
- Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Hamilton, N.J.-based WG Memphis Holdings LLC has bought a Walgreens property at 6980 Holmes Road for $3.5 million, the same price seller Trio Investments LLC paid for it a decade ago.
49. Walgreens to Buy Arkansas-Based USA Drug
- Friday, July 06, 2012
Walgreens says it’s acquiring Arkansas-based drug store chain USA Drug from Stephen L. LaFrance Holdings.
USA Drug is the same company that in 2010 sold Memphis Ike’s and Super D stores to Walgreens, which subsequently closed 17 of the stores, then bought and kept open the two remaining Ike’s at Union Avenue in Midtown and Park Avenue in East Memphis.
50. Walgreen to Spend $6.7B on Alliance Boots Stake
- Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Walgreen Co. will pay $6.7 billion in cash and stock to buy a stake in European health and beauty retailer Alliance Boots, a deal that would give global clout to a U.S. drugstore chain struggling with slipping sales in its home market.
51. MEPPI Files $155M Permit App For Rivergate Plant, Office
- Tuesday, June 12, 2012
2865 Riverport Road
Memphis, TN 38109
Permit Cost: $155 million
Permit Date: Applied June 2012
52. Union Ave. Ike's Site Sells for $9.5 Million
- Wednesday, June 06, 2012
Florida-based entity WG Memphis LLC has bought the Ike’s drug store property at 2145 Union Ave., as well as three adjacent parcels of vacant land, for $9.5 million from Little Rock, Ark.-based LAF Brothers Properties LLC.
53. Express Scripts Stock Rises After Q1 Growth Report
- Monday, May 14, 2012
Shares of Express Scripts are climbing after the pharmacy benefits manger reported prescription growth in its first quarter since splitting with drugstore chain Walgreen.
Express Scripts says adjusted prescriptions totaled nearly 193 million in its first quarter, up 3.6 percent compared to last year. That figure treats 90-day mail-order prescriptions as three regular, 30-day prescriptions.
54. Walgreen Pays $7.9M to End Gov't Investigation
- Monday, April 23, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The U.S. Department of Justice said Friday that Walgreen Co. will pay $7.9 million to resolve allegations it illegally tried to get federal health care beneficiaries to switch their prescriptions to Walgreen pharmacies.
55. Express Scripts' $29.1B Deal for Medco Closes
- Tuesday, April 03, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Express Scripts Inc. said Monday that it completed its $29.1 billion acquisition of Medco Health Solutions Inc., creating the largest pharmacy benefits manager in the country by far.
56. Walgreen Profit Slides Nearly 8 Percent
- Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co.’s fiscal second-quarter earnings fell almost 8 percent due in part to its decision to leave the Express Scripts pharmacy network, but the performance still topped analyst expectations.
57. Walgreens Property Financed for $2.3M
- Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Savitt Investment LLC has financed Walgreens pharmacy property at 6770 Macon Road through American Fidelity Assurance Co. for $2.3 million.
58. Walgreen Revenue Figure Falls 4.6 Percent
- Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Monday, March 5, its monthly revenue from stores open at least a year slipped again in February, as a split with Express Scripts Inc. and a weak flu season continued to hurt business.
59. Express Scripts Moves Past Split With Walgreen
- Friday, February 24, 2012
Express Scripts Inc. says it is doing fine after breaking up with pharmacy operator Walgreen Co., but it won't rule out getting back together with the largest U.S. drugstore chain.
60. Walgreen, Other Pharmacies Form Nationwide Network
- Thursday, February 23, 2012
Walgreen Co. and some independent drugstores are investing in a nationwide push to give pharmacists a chance to work more with patients to improve care and cut costs.
61. CVS Caremark Q4 Profit Rises, 2012 Outlook Climbs
- Thursday, February 09, 2012
Drugstore chain Walgreen's loss of a big client is turning into rival CVS Caremark's gain so far this year.
A contract squabble between Walgreen Co. and pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc. has driven more customers to CVS pharmacies, prompting that company to raise its 2012 earnings forecast by 3 cents per share.
62. Key Revenue Measure Falls 4.6 Pct at Walgreen
- Monday, February 06, 2012
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Friday that January revenue from stores open at least a year fell 4.6 percent, as a split with Express Scripts Inc. and a weak flu season hurt business for the largest U.S. drugstore chain.
63. Walgreen Buying Files From 33 Kmart Stores
- Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Walgreen Co. said Monday, Jan. 30, it is buying prescription files and inventory from 33 Kmart pharmacies in 16 states.
64. STCC Takes Next Step In Nursing Bldg. Plans
- Tuesday, January 31, 2012
693 Union Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103
Permit Cost: $14.6 million
Project Cost: $18.2 million
65. Getwell Walgreens Financed for $2.9M
- Thursday, January 26, 2012
1201 Get Well LLC has filed a $2.9 million trust deed through TD Bank NA for a Walgreens building at 1201 Getwell Road.
66. Balmy Winter Brings Plenty of Economic Surprises
- Monday, January 16, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Out of a relatively balmy winter have sprung some economic surprises. People have more cash in their pockets because they aren't turning up the thermostat. Airlines don't have to de-ice planes or battle blizzards. And shoppers are finding great deals on coats and boots.
67. Moody's May Downgrade Some Walgreen Ratings
- Friday, January 06, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Moody's Investor Service is putting some of Walgreen Co.'s credit ratings on review for a potential downgrade after the expiration of the drugstore operator's contract to participate in the Express Scripts pharmacy network.
68. Walgreen Pushes to Keep Express Scripts Clients
- Monday, January 02, 2012
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Walgreen CEO Greg Wasson said Friday chances are probably "slim to none" that the drugstore operator will reach an agreement with pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts before their current contract ends Saturday.
69. Walgreen Expects to Lose Most Express Scripts Biz
- Friday, December 30, 2011
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday it expects to lose almost 90 percent of prescriptions handled by pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc. after it leaves Express Scripts' networks on Jan. 1.
70. Walgreen Q1 Profit Drops on Express Scripts Fight
- Thursday, December 22, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co.'s fiscal first-quarter earnings fell more than 4 percent due in part to a slow flu season and its decision to leave the Express Scripts Inc. pharmacy network next month.
71. CVS Caremark Rises on 2012 Profit Forecast
- Wednesday, December 21, 2011
WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) – Shares of CVS Caremark Corp. rose Tuesday after the company said it expects that profit at its Caremark pharmacy benefits management business will grow in 2012, reversing two years of declines.
72. Rite Aid Lobbying Costs Rise to $60,000 in Q3
- Tuesday, November 15, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Rite Aid Corp. spent $60,000 as it lobbied the federal in the third quarter, up 20 percent from a year ago.
73. Walgreen Q3 Lobbying Costs Doubled to $700K
- Tuesday, November 15, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. spend $700,000 lobbying the federal government in the third quarter, more than twice what it spent a year ago.
74. CVS Caremark Q3 Profit Rises 7 Percent
- Friday, November 04, 2011
WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) – CVS Caremark Corp.'s third-quarter earnings climbed 7 percent, as a long-term contract and acquisition boosted the pharmacy network claims it processed.
75. Somerset Park Apartments Sell for $1.1 Million
- Tuesday, November 01, 2011
3425 Winchester Park Drive
Memphis, TN 38118
Sale Amount: $1.1 Million
76. Getwell Walgreens Sold Yet Again
- Monday, October 31, 2011
The Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road has traded hands again.
An entity called 1201 Getwell LLC, which lists a Weehawken, N.J., address, bought the property from Elm Special Opportunities Fund I LLC of St. Louis for $4.9 million in a special warranty deed.
77. St. Louis Co. Buys Getwell Walgreens
- Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Elm Special Opportunities Fund I LLC of St. Louis has paid $4.4 million for the Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road. The sale closed Oct. 18 in a special warranty deed.The property is a 14,462-square-foot Walgreens on 2.3 acres at the southwest corner of Rhodes Avenue and Getwell Road. The store was built in 2004.
78. Analyst Downgrades Walgreen and Cuts Estimates
- Wednesday, October 19, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Jefferies and Co. downgraded shares of Walgreen Co., saying the drugstore chain is in a weak negotiating position in its dispute with pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc.
79. Express Scripts Turns Down Walgreen Tricare Offer
- Tuesday, October 18, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Monday it is offering to continue filling prescriptions for military members, retirees, and their families under a new deal with Express Scripts Inc., but the pharmacy benefits manager said the offer was not good enough.
80. Walgreen Hiring Cigna Executive Jeffrey Kang
- Wednesday, October 12, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Tuesday it is hiring the chief medical officer of health insurer Cigna Corp. for a new role as vice president of health and wellness services and solutions.
81. Express Scripts Cuts Profit and Prescription Views
- Friday, October 07, 2011
ST. LOUIS (AP) – Express Scripts Inc. cut its annual profit forecast Thursday, saying fewer people are seeing doctors and filling prescriptions while the economy remains stagnant. The pharmacy benefits manager also said its planned purchase of Medco Health Solutions Inc. and a contract dispute with Walgreen are increasing its costs.
82. Walgreen September Sales Rise, But Miss Estimates
- Thursday, October 06, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Wednesday that its sales grew in September, but a key revenue measurement fell short of Wall Street expectations because of lower demand for flu shots and a mild cold season.
83. Walgreen Q2 Lobbying Spending Grew to $630K
- Friday, September 30, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore chain Walgreen Co. spent $630,000 lobbying the federal government in the second quarter, nearly double what the company spent a year ago.
84. Walgreen Fiscal 4th-Qtr Profit Jumps 69 Percent
- Wednesday, September 28, 2011
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Tuesday its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings jumped 69 percent, boosted in part by a gain from the $525-million sale of its pharmacy benefits management business.
85. New York Co. Buys Medical Office Buildings
- Tuesday, September 20, 2011
1333 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38104
Sale Amount: $2.9 million
Sale Date: Aug. 26, 2011
86. Walgreens Site Financed for $2.4 million
- Friday, September 16, 2011
St. Louis-based Muriel Real Estate LLC has filed a $2.4 million loan through The Business Bank of St. Louis for property that houses a Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road. No maturity date was listed on the loan documents.
87. Walgreen Says Express Scripts Talks are Stalled
- Wednesday, September 07, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore chain Walgreen Co. reiterated Tuesday that it plans to stop filling prescriptions managed by Express Scripts Inc. on Jan. 1, saying contract renewal negotiations between the companies are stalled.
88. Analysts Raise Estimates on CVS After New Buyback
- Friday, August 26, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Analysts raised their profit estimates for CVS Caremark Corp. Thursday, a day after the drugstore chain and pharmacy benefits manager said it will buy back another $4 billion in stock.
89. Walgreen Creating New Store Brand, Called Nice
- Friday, August 19, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Thursday it is replacing its older store brands with a single new brand called Nice and plans to have 400 of products bearing that label on its shelves by early 2012.
90. Plans Move Ahead For Cordova Staples
- Tuesday, August 09, 2011
1.7 acres in
Galleria of Memphis
Sale Amount: $850,000
Sale Date: July 26, 2011
Buyer: TN Cordova Germantown LLC
91. Bartlett Walgreens Site Sells for $3.8 Million
- Monday, August 08, 2011
Deerfield, Ill.-based Cole WG Bartlett (St. Elmo) TN LLC has bought the site of a Walgreens at 6565 St. Elmo Road in Bartlett from Whitnall Garden Apartments for $3.8 million.
92. CVS Caremark Q2 Profit Slips 1 Percent
- Friday, August 05, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – CVS Caremark said Thursday its profit slipped 1 percent in the second quarter as its pharmacy benefits management business weathered lower prices on contract renewals.
The Woonsocket, R.I., company said Caremark faced lower prices related to contract renewals. The most significant of those was its retail pharmacy contract with the Federal Employee Health Benefit Program, which the company renewed in the third quarter of 2010. While those renewals cut into its profit, total revenue for CVS Caremark rose 10.9 percent to $14.57 billion as the company began a new 12-year contract with Aetna Inc. and acquired Universal American Corp.'s Medicare Part D business.
93. Walgreen July Sales Rise, Key Measurement Improves
- Thursday, August 04, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co., the biggest drugstore chain in the U.S., on Wednesday reported July sales that were slightly better than Wall Street expected.
94. Retailers to Bring Fresh Produce to 1,500 Places
- Thursday, July 21, 2011
WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama's campaign against childhood obesity moved a step forward Wednesday with the announcement that Wal-Mart and other retailers plan over the next five years to open or expand 1,500 stores in areas without easy access to fresh fruit, vegetables and other healthy foods.
95. Walgreen Boosts Dividend, OK's $2B Stock Buyback
- Thursday, July 14, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said is raising its quarterly dividend by almost 29 percent to 22.5 cents and its board has authorized a new $2 billion stock buyback program.
96. Walgreen Says June Sales, Customer Traffic Grew
- Thursday, July 07, 2011
Walgreen Co. said Wednesday, July 6, that its sales rose 6.8 percent in June, as more shoppers came to its stores and spent more money per trip.
97. Walgreen Says it Will Split With Express Scripts
- Wednesday, June 22, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co. said that it is willing to walk away from more than $5 billion in annual revenue because pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts doesn't pay it enough to fill prescriptions.
98. Walgreen 1Q Lobbying Costs Grow to $530,000
- Tuesday, June 21, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. increased its lobbying activity during the first quarter, and spent $530,000 as it lobbied Congress on health care issues.
99. Walgreen Revenue Metric Rises 5.6 Percent in May
- Monday, June 06, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – A key revenue measurement rose 5.6 percent at Walgreen Co. in May, the drugstore chain said Friday, better than Wall Street expected.
100. Sony, Epsilon Execs Support Data Breach Bill
- Friday, June 03, 2011
WASHINGTON (AP) – Top executives from Sony and online marketing firm Epsilon told lawmakers Thursday that they support federal legislation that would require companies to promptly notify consumers if their personal information is stolen or exposed by a data breach.