Editorial Results (free)
1. Drugstore Corridor
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Walgreen Co. is building a new store on Poplar Avenue in East Memphis amid some of the most important and valuable commercial real estate in the city.
2. Walgreen Clinics Expand Care Into Chronic Illness
- Friday, April 05, 2013
Walgreen Co. has stretched the reach of its drugstore clinics beyond treating ankle sprains and sinus infections to handling chronic diseases such as diabetes, asthma and high blood pressure.
3. MED Buys East Memphis Land for $3.4 Million
- Tuesday, December 04, 2012
6525 Quince Road Memphis, TN 38119
Sale Amount: $3.4 million
Sale Date: Nov. 16, 2012
4. Pennsylvania Company Buys Cordova Walgreens
- Monday, December 03, 2012
An affiliate of American Capital Realty has paid $3.8 million for the 15,048-square-foot Walgreens at 1943 Berryhill Road in Cordova.
5. Storage Facility Owner Files $2 Million Loan
- Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Storage Towne of America LLC has filed a $2 million loan on its 66,802-square-foot storage facility at 5900 Stage Road in Bartlett.
6. Delek Buys Lion Oil Facility for $6.4 Million
- Tuesday, November 20, 2012
1023 Riverside Drive Memphis, TN 38106
Sale Amount: $6.4 million
Sale Date: Nov. 7, 2012
7. Austin Peay Walgreens Financed for $2.3 Million
- Wednesday, November 14, 2012
A Walgreens store on Austin Peay Highway has been financed by its California-based ownership group, Antioch-Memphis Partners, for $2.3 million.
The 14,392-square-foot Class A store is situated on 1.9 acres at the northwest corner of Austin Peay and Singleton Parkway. Walgreen Co. began a 75-year lease on the property, which the Shelby County Assessor appraised this year at $2.2 million, when it was built in 2002.
8. Nashville Company Buys Wolf River Medical Building for $11 Million
- Tuesday, October 16, 2012
8040 Wolf River Blvd.
Germantown, TN 38138
Sale Amount: $11 million
Sale Date: Oct. 9, 2012
Buyer: HRT of Tennessee Inc.
Seller: Bayrock Investment Co. LLC
Details: HRT of Tennessee Inc., an affiliate of Nashville-based Healthcare Realty Trust Inc., has paid slightly less than $11 million for the medical office building at 8040 Wolf River Blvd. in Germantown.
9. Summer Avenue Walgreens Sells for $4 Million
- Monday, October 15, 2012
The 14,092-square-foot Walgreens store at 5828 Summer Ave. (U.S. 70) has sold for $4 million to an entity called ARC WGMEMTN001 LLC.
10. Shelby Oaks Red Roof Inn Sells for $1.6 Million
- Tuesday, September 25, 2012
6055 Shelby Oaks Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Sale Amount: $1.6 million
Sale Date: Sept. 19, 2012
11. Ike's, Super D Parent Sells Collierville Land for $800K
- Thursday, September 20, 2012
Stephen L. LaFrance Pharmacy Inc. of Little Rock – the former parent of retail pharmacies Ike’s, Super D, USA Drug, Drug Warehouse and Med-X – has sold 1.41 acres on the south side of West Poplar Avenue (Tenn. 57) near its intersection with Maynard Way.
12. Walgreen Finishes $438 Million Deal for Drugstore Chain
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. has completed its $438 million purchase of a regional drugstore chain that operates in several states under the USA Drug, Super D Drug and Med-X names.
13. Industry Leaders Discuss Changing Health Care System
- Monday, September 10, 2012
Some of Memphis’ most prominent health care leaders discussed the changing U.S. health care system during the Memphis Business Group on Health’s fourth annual conference Thursday, Sept. 6, at the Holiday Inn-University of Memphis, 3700 Central Ave.
14. Tricare Won't Return Walgreen to Pharmacy Network
- Friday, September 07, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The military health insurance plan Tricare says Walgreen Co.'s drugstore chain, the largest in the U.S., will not be part of the network where plan members can get their prescriptions filled.
15. Refunds on Way to Cover CVS Business' Price Error
- Wednesday, September 05, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The Federal Trade Commission said that it is mailing refund checks to 13,000 Medicare Part D beneficiaries who were overcharged for drugs because a CVS Caremark Corp. business understated the price of the medications.
16. Herbalife Plans to Expand Memphis Distribution Center
- Tuesday, August 21, 2012
5025 Crumpler Road
Memphis, TN 38141
Permit Cost: $4.8 million
Permit Date: Applied August 2012
17. Former Ike's Sells for $1.3 Million
- Friday, August 17, 2012
A 16,085-square-foot former Ike’s drug store at the corner of Summer Avenue and North Perkins Road has sold for $1.3 million, or about $81 a square foot.
3C Summer Partners LLC, which lists a residential address in Brentwood, Tenn., bought the property from Stephen L. LaFrance Pharmacy Inc., filing a $1.7 million loan through Trustmark National Bank at the time of purchase.
18. Wal-Mart Opposed to $6B Card Fee Settlement
- Wednesday, July 25, 2012
BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) – Wal-Mart Stores Inc. urged retailers to reject a proposed $6 billion settlement that Visa Inc., MasterCard Inc. and major banks have agreed to pay retailers for alleged fee fixing.
19. Walgreen, Express Scripts Sign New Agreement
- Friday, July 20, 2012
The Walgreen pharmacy chain will begin filling prescriptions from customers in the Express Scripts network again starting in September under a new multiyear contract that ends a costly impasse between the companies.
20. Hickory Hill Warehouse Sells for $1.3 Million
- Tuesday, July 17, 2012
5837 Distribution Drive
Memphis, TN 38141
Sale Amount: $1.3 million
Sale Date: July 11, 2012
21. Walgreens Buyer Finances Purchase With $2.6M Loan
- Friday, July 13, 2012
WG Memphis Holdings LLC, the Hamilton, N.J.-based company that bought the Walgreens site at 6980 E. Holmes Road, has financed the purchase with a $2.6 million loan through Wells Fargo Bank NA.
22. Walgreens Site on Holmes Sells for $3.5 Million
- Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Hamilton, N.J.-based WG Memphis Holdings LLC has bought a Walgreens property at 6980 Holmes Road for $3.5 million, the same price seller Trio Investments LLC paid for it a decade ago.
23. Walgreens to Buy Arkansas-Based USA Drug
- Friday, July 06, 2012
Walgreens says it’s acquiring Arkansas-based drug store chain USA Drug from Stephen L. LaFrance Holdings.
USA Drug is the same company that in 2010 sold Memphis Ike’s and Super D stores to Walgreens, which subsequently closed 17 of the stores, then bought and kept open the two remaining Ike’s at Union Avenue in Midtown and Park Avenue in East Memphis.
24. Walgreen to Spend $6.7B on Alliance Boots Stake
- Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Walgreen Co. will pay $6.7 billion in cash and stock to buy a stake in European health and beauty retailer Alliance Boots, a deal that would give global clout to a U.S. drugstore chain struggling with slipping sales in its home market.
25. MEPPI Files $155M Permit App For Rivergate Plant, Office
- Tuesday, June 12, 2012
2865 Riverport Road
Memphis, TN 38109
Permit Cost: $155 million
Permit Date: Applied June 2012
26. Union Ave. Ike's Site Sells for $9.5 Million
- Wednesday, June 06, 2012
Florida-based entity WG Memphis LLC has bought the Ike’s drug store property at 2145 Union Ave., as well as three adjacent parcels of vacant land, for $9.5 million from Little Rock, Ark.-based LAF Brothers Properties LLC.
27. Express Scripts Stock Rises After Q1 Growth Report
- Monday, May 14, 2012
Shares of Express Scripts are climbing after the pharmacy benefits manger reported prescription growth in its first quarter since splitting with drugstore chain Walgreen.
Express Scripts says adjusted prescriptions totaled nearly 193 million in its first quarter, up 3.6 percent compared to last year. That figure treats 90-day mail-order prescriptions as three regular, 30-day prescriptions.
28. Walgreen Pays $7.9M to End Gov't Investigation
- Monday, April 23, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – The U.S. Department of Justice said Friday that Walgreen Co. will pay $7.9 million to resolve allegations it illegally tried to get federal health care beneficiaries to switch their prescriptions to Walgreen pharmacies.
29. Express Scripts' $29.1B Deal for Medco Closes
- Tuesday, April 03, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Express Scripts Inc. said Monday that it completed its $29.1 billion acquisition of Medco Health Solutions Inc., creating the largest pharmacy benefits manager in the country by far.
30. Walgreen Profit Slides Nearly 8 Percent
- Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co.’s fiscal second-quarter earnings fell almost 8 percent due in part to its decision to leave the Express Scripts pharmacy network, but the performance still topped analyst expectations.
31. Walgreens Property Financed for $2.3M
- Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Savitt Investment LLC has financed Walgreens pharmacy property at 6770 Macon Road through American Fidelity Assurance Co. for $2.3 million.
32. Walgreen Revenue Figure Falls 4.6 Percent
- Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Monday, March 5, its monthly revenue from stores open at least a year slipped again in February, as a split with Express Scripts Inc. and a weak flu season continued to hurt business.
33. Express Scripts Moves Past Split With Walgreen
- Friday, February 24, 2012
Express Scripts Inc. says it is doing fine after breaking up with pharmacy operator Walgreen Co., but it won't rule out getting back together with the largest U.S. drugstore chain.
34. Walgreen, Other Pharmacies Form Nationwide Network
- Thursday, February 23, 2012
Walgreen Co. and some independent drugstores are investing in a nationwide push to give pharmacists a chance to work more with patients to improve care and cut costs.
35. CVS Caremark Q4 Profit Rises, 2012 Outlook Climbs
- Thursday, February 09, 2012
Drugstore chain Walgreen's loss of a big client is turning into rival CVS Caremark's gain so far this year.
A contract squabble between Walgreen Co. and pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc. has driven more customers to CVS pharmacies, prompting that company to raise its 2012 earnings forecast by 3 cents per share.
36. Key Revenue Measure Falls 4.6 Pct at Walgreen
- Monday, February 06, 2012
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Friday that January revenue from stores open at least a year fell 4.6 percent, as a split with Express Scripts Inc. and a weak flu season hurt business for the largest U.S. drugstore chain.
37. Walgreen Buying Files From 33 Kmart Stores
- Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Walgreen Co. said Monday, Jan. 30, it is buying prescription files and inventory from 33 Kmart pharmacies in 16 states.
38. STCC Takes Next Step In Nursing Bldg. Plans
- Tuesday, January 31, 2012
693 Union Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103
Permit Cost: $14.6 million
Project Cost: $18.2 million
39. Getwell Walgreens Financed for $2.9M
- Thursday, January 26, 2012
1201 Get Well LLC has filed a $2.9 million trust deed through TD Bank NA for a Walgreens building at 1201 Getwell Road.
40. Balmy Winter Brings Plenty of Economic Surprises
- Monday, January 16, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Out of a relatively balmy winter have sprung some economic surprises. People have more cash in their pockets because they aren't turning up the thermostat. Airlines don't have to de-ice planes or battle blizzards. And shoppers are finding great deals on coats and boots.
41. Moody's May Downgrade Some Walgreen Ratings
- Friday, January 06, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) – Moody's Investor Service is putting some of Walgreen Co.'s credit ratings on review for a potential downgrade after the expiration of the drugstore operator's contract to participate in the Express Scripts pharmacy network.
42. Walgreen Pushes to Keep Express Scripts Clients
- Monday, January 02, 2012
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Walgreen CEO Greg Wasson said Friday chances are probably "slim to none" that the drugstore operator will reach an agreement with pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts before their current contract ends Saturday.
43. Walgreen Expects to Lose Most Express Scripts Biz
- Friday, December 30, 2011
Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday it expects to lose almost 90 percent of prescriptions handled by pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc. after it leaves Express Scripts' networks on Jan. 1.
44. Walgreen Q1 Profit Drops on Express Scripts Fight
- Thursday, December 22, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co.'s fiscal first-quarter earnings fell more than 4 percent due in part to a slow flu season and its decision to leave the Express Scripts Inc. pharmacy network next month.
45. CVS Caremark Rises on 2012 Profit Forecast
- Wednesday, December 21, 2011
WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) – Shares of CVS Caremark Corp. rose Tuesday after the company said it expects that profit at its Caremark pharmacy benefits management business will grow in 2012, reversing two years of declines.
46. Rite Aid Lobbying Costs Rise to $60,000 in Q3
- Tuesday, November 15, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Rite Aid Corp. spent $60,000 as it lobbied the federal in the third quarter, up 20 percent from a year ago.
47. Walgreen Q3 Lobbying Costs Doubled to $700K
- Tuesday, November 15, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. spend $700,000 lobbying the federal government in the third quarter, more than twice what it spent a year ago.
48. CVS Caremark Q3 Profit Rises 7 Percent
- Friday, November 04, 2011
WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) – CVS Caremark Corp.'s third-quarter earnings climbed 7 percent, as a long-term contract and acquisition boosted the pharmacy network claims it processed.
49. Somerset Park Apartments Sell for $1.1 Million
- Tuesday, November 01, 2011
3425 Winchester Park Drive
Memphis, TN 38118
Sale Amount: $1.1 Million
50. Getwell Walgreens Sold Yet Again
- Monday, October 31, 2011
The Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road has traded hands again.
An entity called 1201 Getwell LLC, which lists a Weehawken, N.J., address, bought the property from Elm Special Opportunities Fund I LLC of St. Louis for $4.9 million in a special warranty deed.
51. St. Louis Co. Buys Getwell Walgreens
- Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Elm Special Opportunities Fund I LLC of St. Louis has paid $4.4 million for the Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road. The sale closed Oct. 18 in a special warranty deed.The property is a 14,462-square-foot Walgreens on 2.3 acres at the southwest corner of Rhodes Avenue and Getwell Road. The store was built in 2004.
52. Analyst Downgrades Walgreen and Cuts Estimates
- Wednesday, October 19, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Jefferies and Co. downgraded shares of Walgreen Co., saying the drugstore chain is in a weak negotiating position in its dispute with pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts Inc.
53. Express Scripts Turns Down Walgreen Tricare Offer
- Tuesday, October 18, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Monday it is offering to continue filling prescriptions for military members, retirees, and their families under a new deal with Express Scripts Inc., but the pharmacy benefits manager said the offer was not good enough.
54. Walgreen Hiring Cigna Executive Jeffrey Kang
- Wednesday, October 12, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Tuesday it is hiring the chief medical officer of health insurer Cigna Corp. for a new role as vice president of health and wellness services and solutions.
55. Express Scripts Cuts Profit and Prescription Views
- Friday, October 07, 2011
ST. LOUIS (AP) – Express Scripts Inc. cut its annual profit forecast Thursday, saying fewer people are seeing doctors and filling prescriptions while the economy remains stagnant. The pharmacy benefits manager also said its planned purchase of Medco Health Solutions Inc. and a contract dispute with Walgreen are increasing its costs.
56. Walgreen September Sales Rise, But Miss Estimates
- Thursday, October 06, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Wednesday that its sales grew in September, but a key revenue measurement fell short of Wall Street expectations because of lower demand for flu shots and a mild cold season.
57. Walgreen Q2 Lobbying Spending Grew to $630K
- Friday, September 30, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore chain Walgreen Co. spent $630,000 lobbying the federal government in the second quarter, nearly double what the company spent a year ago.
58. Walgreen Fiscal 4th-Qtr Profit Jumps 69 Percent
- Wednesday, September 28, 2011
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Tuesday its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings jumped 69 percent, boosted in part by a gain from the $525-million sale of its pharmacy benefits management business.
59. New York Co. Buys Medical Office Buildings
- Tuesday, September 20, 2011
1333 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38104
Sale Amount: $2.9 million
Sale Date: Aug. 26, 2011
60. Walgreens Site Financed for $2.4 million
- Friday, September 16, 2011
St. Louis-based Muriel Real Estate LLC has filed a $2.4 million loan through The Business Bank of St. Louis for property that houses a Walgreens pharmacy at 1201 Getwell Road. No maturity date was listed on the loan documents.
61. Walgreen Says Express Scripts Talks are Stalled
- Wednesday, September 07, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore chain Walgreen Co. reiterated Tuesday that it plans to stop filling prescriptions managed by Express Scripts Inc. on Jan. 1, saying contract renewal negotiations between the companies are stalled.
62. Analysts Raise Estimates on CVS After New Buyback
- Friday, August 26, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Analysts raised their profit estimates for CVS Caremark Corp. Thursday, a day after the drugstore chain and pharmacy benefits manager said it will buy back another $4 billion in stock.
63. Walgreen Creating New Store Brand, Called Nice
- Friday, August 19, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Thursday it is replacing its older store brands with a single new brand called Nice and plans to have 400 of products bearing that label on its shelves by early 2012.
64. Plans Move Ahead For Cordova Staples
- Tuesday, August 09, 2011
1.7 acres in
Galleria of Memphis
Sale Amount: $850,000
Sale Date: July 26, 2011
Buyer: TN Cordova Germantown LLC
65. Bartlett Walgreens Site Sells for $3.8 Million
- Monday, August 08, 2011
Deerfield, Ill.-based Cole WG Bartlett (St. Elmo) TN LLC has bought the site of a Walgreens at 6565 St. Elmo Road in Bartlett from Whitnall Garden Apartments for $3.8 million.
66. CVS Caremark Q2 Profit Slips 1 Percent
- Friday, August 05, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – CVS Caremark said Thursday its profit slipped 1 percent in the second quarter as its pharmacy benefits management business weathered lower prices on contract renewals.
The Woonsocket, R.I., company said Caremark faced lower prices related to contract renewals. The most significant of those was its retail pharmacy contract with the Federal Employee Health Benefit Program, which the company renewed in the third quarter of 2010. While those renewals cut into its profit, total revenue for CVS Caremark rose 10.9 percent to $14.57 billion as the company began a new 12-year contract with Aetna Inc. and acquired Universal American Corp.'s Medicare Part D business.
67. Walgreen July Sales Rise, Key Measurement Improves
- Thursday, August 04, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co., the biggest drugstore chain in the U.S., on Wednesday reported July sales that were slightly better than Wall Street expected.
68. Retailers to Bring Fresh Produce to 1,500 Places
- Thursday, July 21, 2011
WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama's campaign against childhood obesity moved a step forward Wednesday with the announcement that Wal-Mart and other retailers plan over the next five years to open or expand 1,500 stores in areas without easy access to fresh fruit, vegetables and other healthy foods.
69. Walgreen Boosts Dividend, OK's $2B Stock Buyback
- Thursday, July 14, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said is raising its quarterly dividend by almost 29 percent to 22.5 cents and its board has authorized a new $2 billion stock buyback program.
70. Walgreen Says June Sales, Customer Traffic Grew
- Thursday, July 07, 2011
Walgreen Co. said Wednesday, July 6, that its sales rose 6.8 percent in June, as more shoppers came to its stores and spent more money per trip.
71. Walgreen Says it Will Split With Express Scripts
- Wednesday, June 22, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co. said that it is willing to walk away from more than $5 billion in annual revenue because pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts doesn't pay it enough to fill prescriptions.
72. Walgreen 1Q Lobbying Costs Grow to $530,000
- Tuesday, June 21, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. increased its lobbying activity during the first quarter, and spent $530,000 as it lobbied Congress on health care issues.
73. Walgreen Revenue Metric Rises 5.6 Percent in May
- Monday, June 06, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – A key revenue measurement rose 5.6 percent at Walgreen Co. in May, the drugstore chain said Friday, better than Wall Street expected.
74. Sony, Epsilon Execs Support Data Breach Bill
- Friday, June 03, 2011
WASHINGTON (AP) – Top executives from Sony and online marketing firm Epsilon told lawmakers Thursday that they support federal legislation that would require companies to promptly notify consumers if their personal information is stolen or exposed by a data breach.
75. Walgreen Key April Revenue Metric Rises
- Thursday, May 05, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Wednesday a key measure of revenue rose in April, but the growth was slightly below Wall Street expectations.
76. Walgreen March Sales Top Wall Street Estimates
- Wednesday, April 06, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. sales rose in March as the largest U.S. drugstore chain filled more prescriptions and its customers spent more money.
77. Banks, Credit-Card Issuers Warn of Email Breach
- Tuesday, April 05, 2011
With the possible theft of millions of email addresses from an advertising company, several large companies have started warning customers to expect fraudulent emails that try to coax account login information from them.
78. Walgreen to Spend About $429M for Drugstore.com
- Friday, March 25, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday it will spend about $429 million to buy online retailer drugstore.com in a deal that gives it access to 3 million online customers.
79. Walgreen Fiscal Q2 Profit Climbs but Shares Tumble
- Wednesday, March 23, 2011
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Tuesday its fiscal second-quarter earnings climbed 10 percent, but company shares tumbled after results were released and analysts said they expected more from the largest U.S. drugstore operator.
80. Walgreen Selling Pharmacy Benefits Ops for $525M
- Thursday, March 10, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Wednesday it is leaving the pharmacy benefits management business, selling that operation to Catalyst Health Solutions Inc. for $525 million in cash and freeing it to focus on its drugstore network, the largest in the United States.
81. Walgreen's Key February Revenue Metric Rises
- Friday, March 04, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday a key measure of revenue rose in February, but the growth was slightly below Wall Street expectations.
82. Hallmark Offering Pre-Paid Cards
- Monday, February 21, 2011
Running out of stamps is no longer an excuse to not send those birthday cards on time.
Hallmark Cards Inc. said Thursday it has teamed with the U.S. Postal Service to launch greeting cards that include postage-paid envelopes, allowing would-be cardgivers to just sign, seal and drop in the mail.
83. Walgreen January Sales Rise, Top Key Measure
- Friday, February 04, 2011
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday that its sales increased in January, topping a key sales measurement monitored by Wall Street.
84. Walgreen 1Q Profit Jumps 18.8 Percent
- Thursday, December 23, 2010
Walgreen Co., the largest drugstore operator in the U.S., said Wednesday that its net income jumped 19 percent in the fiscal first quarter as it continued to remodel thousands of stores and promotions were more successful.
85. Walgreen November Revenue Surpasses Expectations
- Monday, December 06, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co., the largest U.S. drugstore chain, said Friday sales at stores open at least a year climbed 3.2 percent in November, more than Wall Street analysts expected.
86. Walgreen Recommends Against Unsolicited Offer
- Friday, November 12, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Wednesday it is recommending that shareholders do not endorse an unsolicited offer from TRC Capital Corp. to buy up to 3 million shares of the drug store chain at $33 apiece.
87. Walgreens Offers Free Diabetes Tests
- Monday, November 08, 2010
Walgreens stores and its Take Care Clinics will offer free blood glucose and A1C testing Nov. 12-13 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The testing is in conjunction with American Diabetes Month.
Walgreens previously conducted free tests last November and in February. Of the more than 200,000 people who participated, those who tested at risk exceeded 25 percent.
88. Walgreen CEO Gets Nearly 30 Pct Pay Boost on Bonus
- Friday, November 05, 2010
NEW YORK (AP) – The CEO of Walgreen Co. made nearly 30 percent more in fiscal 2010 because of a boost in his performance-related bonus as the nation's largest drugstore chain improved profits and revenue despite the down economy.
89. Walgreen October Revenue Misses Estimates
- Thursday, November 04, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Wednesday that same-store revenue slipped 1.3 percent in October, more than Wall Street expected.
90. Walgreen Approves $1B Stock Repurchase Plan
- Thursday, October 14, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore chain Walgreen Co. said Wednesday it approved the repurchase of up to $1 billion in stock through the end of 2012.
91. Walgreen September Revenue Tops Expectations
- Wednesday, October 06, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Walgreen Co. said Tuesday that same-store revenue rose less than a half-percent in September, but still topped Wall Street expectations.
92. Walgreen Names Berkowitz to Pharmacy Market Role
- Friday, October 01, 2010
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) – Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. said Thursday it has hired former Schering-Plough executive Jeffrey Berkowitz to take charge of its pharmacy contracting strategy.
93. Walgreen Q4 Profit Rises and Tops Estimates
- Wednesday, September 29, 2010
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co., the largest drugstore chain in the U.S., said Tuesday its net income rose 8 percent in the fiscal fourth quarter on higher prescription drug sales.
94. Walgreen Q2 Profit Rises With Prescription Sales
- Wednesday, March 24, 2010
NEW YORK (AP) – Walgreen Co., the largest U.S. drugstore chain, reported Tuesday that even while the flu season has tapered off dramatically in the last few months, its profit rose 4.5 percent during the fiscal second quarter on a boost in prescription drug sales.
95. Life or Death for The MED
- Monday, March 01, 2010
A hand as tiny as a budding leaf punched at the air inside a baby incubator.
Kelley Smith, the head nurse of the neonatal intensive care unit at The Regional Medical Center at Memphis, checked on the little fighter.
96. Walgreen to Buy NYC Drugstore Operator Duane Reade
- Thursday, February 18, 2010
NEW YORK (AP) - Walgreen Co. reported Wednesday it has agreed to buy the drugstore operator Duane Reade in a move that will more than quadruple the number of stores it has in the New York City metro area.
97. CVS Caremark Q4 Profit Grows 11 Percent
- Tuesday, February 09, 2010
NEW YORK (AP) - CVS Caremark Corp., one of the nation's biggest drugstore operators, said Monday its profit rose 11 percent in the fourth quarter as results improved for its pharmacy benefits management business.
98. Walgreen Q1 Profit Rises 20 Percent on Drug Sales
- Tuesday, December 22, 2009
NEW YORK (AP) - Concerned customers got more than 5 million flu shots at Walgreen Co. stores in the fall, helping the company boost its quarterly profit by 20 percent.
99. Area Walgreens Plan to Sell Beer at 30 Locations
- Wednesday, December 09, 2009
Walgreens has filed an application with the Memphis Alcohol Commission to sell beer at more than 30 of its stores in the city as part of a national sales strategy....
The retail pharmacy chain is getting back in the business of selling alcohol after deciding in the 1990s to stop carrying liquor, wine and beer at most of its stores, said Robert Elfinger, a corporate spokesman for Walgreens, which is based in Deerfield, Ill. This time around, the chain will limit itself to beer and wine in most markets, he said. Tennessee, Mississippi and some other Southern states limit wine and liquor sales to “package” stores, or ones that strictly sell alcohol.
In other markets across the nation, Walgreens once offered all the items to stock a liquor cabinet, wine chiller or beer fridge. It still offers a full line of alcohol in a handful of states such as Arizona and New Mexico.
“This is only a very limited selection of beer and wine, but in Memphis it’s just beer,” Elfinger said. “In most of the country, we’re trying for sections of beer and wine and it’s less than 2 percent of the shelf space. So this is probably less than 1 percent of the total shelf space in the Memphis stores. It’s just beer.”
The company reversed itself on alcohol sales because of consumer demand, he said.
“We think demand has increased for moderate beer and wine purchases,” Elfinger said. “Beer and wine have become just a little bit more American main stream. You have the Food Network kind of stressing the pairing of certain wines with certain foods. You have the microbrewery phenomenon and then the imports. People are just a little more accepting of beer and wine.”
With Walgreens’ “very good and convenient locations,” it made sense for the stores to stock beer, he said.
“The licensing and the rollout have gone really smooth in Tennessee,” he said. “I think people realize that we are a very responsible retailer. I think we will provide a very safe and comfortable atmosphere to offer these products.”
Anyone who wishes to circulate a petition for or against beer sales at any of the Walgreens locations in Memphis must file it with the commission no later than next Tuesday.
100. Beyond Halloween
- Monday, October 26, 2009
The signs are already up in some stores around the city – especially those open 24 hours a day. They remind Halloween minded patrons not to wear any kind of masks or face coverings into the stores or risk being mistaken for robbers. What we fear is the basis for Halloween as we know it. What we believe others fear is part of the evolving tradition. Combine the two and you are past Halloween and into a civic discussion that has a season of its own.